Options

Networking job market outlook - link provided

Tricon7Tricon7 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 238
TCPmag just put out their recent job outlook for networking professionals. It's quite promising, and things seem to have taken an upward swing. Even with little to no experience things look good. Check it out.

http://tcpmag.com/salarysurveys/

Comments

• Options
    markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
    Good read.
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    It’s about time.

As I keep saying, our industry is currently going through a transition into professionalism and we are rapidly becoming a highly valuable commodity for those that can and away from the "my nephew, little Johnny knows a bit about computers, he has one in his bedroom you know!.. maybe he can come have a look at it for you" syndrome.

Those days are increasingly over (thank god) and little Johnny is being confined to fixing the neighbour’s and friend’s/family home PCs and then wiping his hands clean when he cocks it up and leaves it up to some slow rider techie trying to make some money on the side or convinced by his mrs and friends that maybe he could leave his main job and start a home repair service.

Board level is finally starting to realise the importance of those funny little TVs on the desks that the "little people" staff base tappety tappety into all day long and more importantly, the value and earning potential of their databases and the potential customer’s access to them via the web. Those of us that hit the books hard and learn what we know, are no longer considered oddities and basement dwellers, but valuable assets that can deliver serious profits and serious savings to the company when we are actually listened to and financially backed. We are the ones that can really deliver massive improvements to the organisation when we, ourselves are supported. This is what is starting to be realised and reflected in those salary increases and with more and more company boards realising this, we are becoming the attentions of a world wide resource grab. (about time too…)

Securely and privately networking company sites dotted around the planet is a simple thing and everything seems to be becoming plug and play. (Connect 48 hosts to an out of the box switch, connect it to the backbone and voila! .. job done! Then you just have to work on the vlans and making the whole thing more secure. Plug in the phone system on the other side of the switch and look what we’ve done. We are ever helpful! )

The web is finally starting to grow out of it's infancy and growing some legs and I expect, will eventually become completely invisible until you just have to ask for information and it is supplied. (if it were supplied by a female version of the 2010 HAL voice, that would just be too cool) You will be able to stand in your kitchen and read off what you want and the order is dispatched by your fridge to your preferred store and the products arrive on the doorstep the very next day with full guarantee or money back. This is the technology our generation will be providing. Already the “star trek” technology is up and running in an English hospital so that you can just tap your name badge and say a name of someone in your organisation and you are instantly connected by voice (by way of wireless, voice recognition via pabx and then voip) to the person you want to speak to. I mean… WOW!

The state of IT so far has been provided to our generation by historic, funny little people in the basement desperately trying to grown facial hair and meet women. These guys could read hex with the same ease that we now read email!! But now, our generation is really starting to make useful things with the infrastructure that these guys put in. When our kids are up there, lord knows what they will be doing with the infrastructure our generation is currently developing.

It’s about time we started being rewarded for what we are worth and the effort we put in and I can think of no better reward than putting more and more money in my bank account so I can spend it on the wife and kids.

I've been lucky enough to be there not at the birth, but at least when IT first started to toddle. There were less than 100k sites world wide then and you needed a thing called gopher to find anything and when you did find what you wanted, text based ftp or telnet ruled and you felt pretty cocky when you knew how to type the commands to actually download something useful and the people standing around your glowing green terminal would WOW in admiration. Look at our industry now.

Me personally, I want them to pay pack in hard cash all the disservice they gave to those basement dwellers with the lack of facial hair problem. All they ever wanted was a bit of respect and maybe the odd cute secretary sent down to the basement photocopier once in a while ;)
    Kam.
  • Options
    antonio banderasantonio banderas Member Posts: 102
    Well, I know at least 3 people that have a CCNA and MCSE, but are making less than $45,000 per year. One person is making in the high 30s per year. Two of these people know networks inside and out....

So much for statistics... icon_cool.gif
    Network/Radiation Oncology Analyst III
  • Options
    markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
    Kaminsky wrote:
    It’s about time.

As I keep saying, our industry is currently going through a transition into professionalism and we are rapidly becoming a highly valuable commodity for those that can and away from the "my nephew, little Johnny knows a bit about computers, he has one in his bedroom you know!.. maybe he can come have a look at it for you" syndrome.

Those days are increasingly over (thank god) and little Johnny is being confined to fixing the neighbour’s and friend’s/family home PCs and then wiping his hands clean when he cocks it up and leaves it up to some slow rider techie trying to make some money on the side or convinced by his mrs and friends that maybe he could leave his main job and start a home repair service.

Board level is finally starting to realise the importance of those funny little TVs on the desks that the "little people" staff base tappety tappety into all day long and more importantly, the value and earning potential of their databases and the potential customer’s access to them via the web. Those of us that hit the books hard and learn what we know, are no longer considered oddities and basement dwellers, but valuable assets that can deliver serious profits and serious savings to the company when we are actually listened to and financially backed. We are the ones that can really deliver massive improvements to the organisation when we, ourselves are supported. This is what is starting to be realised and reflected in those salary increases and with more and more company boards realising this, we are becoming the attentions of a world wide resource grab. (about time too…)

Securely and privately networking company sites dotted around the planet is a simple thing and everything seems to be becoming plug and play. (Connect 48 hosts to an out of the box switch, connect it to the backbone and voila! .. job done! Then you just have to work on the vlans and making the whole thing more secure. Plug in the phone system on the other side of the switch and look what we’ve done. We are ever helpful! )

The web is finally starting to grow out of it's infancy and growing some legs and I expect, will eventually become completely invisible until you just have to ask for information and it is supplied. (if it were supplied by a female version of the 2010 HAL voice, that would just be too cool) You will be able to stand in your kitchen and read off what you want and the order is dispatched by your fridge to your preferred store and the products arrive on the doorstep the very next day with full guarantee or money back. This is the technology our generation will be providing. Already the “star trek” technology is up and running in an English hospital so that you can just tap your name badge and say a name of someone in your organisation and you are instantly connected by voice (by way of wireless, voice recognition via pabx and then voip) to the person you want to speak to. I mean… WOW!

The state of IT so far has been provided to our generation by historic, funny little people in the basement desperately trying to grown facial hair and meet women. These guys could read hex with the same ease that we now read email!! But now, our generation is really starting to make useful things with the infrastructure that these guys put in. When our kids are up there, lord knows what they will be doing with the infrastructure our generation is currently developing.

It’s about time we started being rewarded for what we are worth and the effort we put in and I can think of no better reward than putting more and more money in my bank account so I can spend it on the wife and kids.

I've been lucky enough to be there not at the birth, but at least when IT first started to toddle. There were less than 100k sites world wide then and you needed a thing called gopher to find anything and when you did find what you wanted, text based ftp or telnet ruled and you felt pretty cocky when you knew how to type the commands to actually download something useful and the people standing around your glowing green terminal would WOW in admiration. Look at our industry now.

Me personally, I want them to pay pack in hard cash all the disservice they gave to those basement dwellers with the lack of facial hair problem. All they ever wanted was a bit of respect and maybe the odd cute secretary sent down to the basement photocopier once in a while ;)

bowing.gif
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky