Options

Where to go

Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
Title is kind of bad but basically i'm wondering how i can get my foot in the door? I'm 18, currently working for walmart (they use cisco equipment.. maybe i'm already in? lol.), and am attending a tech. college with degree that trains for CCNP. I plan on having my CCNA done sometime in the late fall.

But yeah, i know that you need experience to get a job. But how do you get that experience? I'll be honest, i can't do a helpdesk type of job. My people skills aren't piss poor but i'm not awesome in that area. I also fail as a teacher/instructor.i could probably suck it up for a few months but i'd rather not... hell, i don't care if i get an entry level position checking that cables are plugged into the back of a computer, making $10 an hour. its a step up from where i'm at now.

I've always been into computers and have known for sometime that i want to work with them. I may try to find a local company to get some experience with.

Also, i live in Charleston, SC. We're not exactly booming in the technology industry (Although a company related to google is building an office here). Relocation is definitely an option as i hate this area.

But yeah, how did some of you more experienced people get started?
Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685

Comments

• Options
    IncInc Member Posts: 184
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    Title is kind of bad but basically i'm wondering how i can get my foot in the door? I'm 18, currently working for walmart (they use cisco equipment.. maybe i'm already in? lol.), and am attending a tech. college with degree that trains for CCNP. I plan on having my CCNA done sometime in the late fall.

But yeah, i know that you need experience to get a job. But how do you get that experience? I'll be honest, i can't do a helpdesk type of job. My people skills aren't piss poor but i'm not awesome in that area. I also fail as a teacher/instructor.i could probably suck it up for a few months but i'd rather not... hell, i don't care if i get an entry level position checking that cables are plugged into the back of a computer, making $10 an hour. its a step up from where i'm at now.

I've always been into computers and have known for sometime that i want to work with them. I may try to find a local company to get some experience with.

Also, i live in Charleston, SC. We're not exactly booming in the technology industry (Although a company related to google is building an office here). Relocation is definitely an option as i hate this area.

But yeah, how did some of you more experienced people get started?

Take a look here: http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21761

There was discussion about people who have no degree and rely on experience soley.

If you are able to simultaneously work for wallmart and study, then stick with it at least until you get CCNA and have 1 full year of experience. Afterwards you can start looking around and mention the CCNA and also CCNP in progress.
  • Options
    How do i get 1 year of experience though/ Sit on the CCNA for a year? Practice labs? lol..

at worst i could probably get a job at my school making $6.50 an hour as a lab assistant or whatever... but then... i'd have to sell my truck. icon_rolleyes.gif

also, i will have an associates degree.

• Options
    IncInc Member Posts: 184
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    How do i get 1 year of experience though/ Sit on the CCNA for a year? Practice labs? lol..

at worst i could probably get a job at my school making $6.50 an hour as a lab assistant or whatever... but then... i'd have to sell my truck. icon_rolleyes.gif

also, i will have an associates degree.

You stated, that you already work for wallmart. Try to get your hands dirty with cisco equipment. Ask if you could help your seniors with something related.

Work on your priorities also.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Your "people skills" are very important in any job in IT. On a positive side, you may find that your people skills improve when you are doing something you enjoy, like working with computers.

There's no easy answer on how to get your foot in the door, or your first opportunity in IT. You're correct that Charleston is not a great area to get your start as entry level jobs are hard to come by here. I personally love this area, I moved here from the midwest a little over 3 years ago.

I have recommended to others that the book/tapes/classes by Dale Carnegie are excellent in improving your people skills, I recommend you at least pick up the books or books on tape "How to Win Friends and Influence People":

http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/0671027034/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-4493241-9654421?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174821783&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/0671043218/ref=sr_1_5/002-4493241-9654421?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174821981&sr=8-5

Good luck! icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    emsrescueemsrescue Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am in a situation where I am working on some certs and have some personal experience but none in industry. I looked at doing some help desk work etc but cant afford to take the pay cut from my current job (Pays ok but bores me to tears).

In the UK there are a couple of organisations that hook up IT people with charities that need help but cant afford it.

http://www.it4communities.org.uk is one in the UK, maybe there are similar things near you?

Jon
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Your "people skills" are very important in any job in IT. On a positive side, you may find that your people skills improve when you are doing something you enjoy, like working with computers.
    I think i'm fine working anything but a helpdesk type of deal. Its not like i'im an **** or afraid to talk to people.

I'll look into something like IT for charities type of deal. I know i local hospital was hiring 2 cisco studentss... i'm guessing i'm too late though. dang.

• Options
    plettnerplettner Member Posts: 197
    If you don't want to do helpdesk (and I can understand why), see if you can find a local computer store and work as an assembler of white boxes. You'll learn what goes where, how to configure PCs and also you'll get an eye for attention to detail. Soemthing very important these days. No one wants an IT guy who does a sloppy job.

If you do a good job assembling, maybe they'll let you do warranty/service work with an experienced guy. Perhaps that computer shop installs networks, you could even go out with the guys and just plug servers in and install printers. Every little bit like this counts. Don't think this work is beneath you (I'm not saying you think this).

This is basically how I started.

From there, spend some time getting your A+ and moving along from there.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sprkymrk wrote:

Thanks for the links to this material. It appears to be extremely popular according to all those positive Amazon reviews. I just purchased a copy of the paperback from the Amazon marketplace. A seller was selling it for $3.50 brand new. Can't beat that!
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    plettner wrote:
    If you don't want to do helpdesk (and I can understand why), see if you can find a local computer store and work as an assembler of white boxes. You'll learn what goes where, how to configure PCs and also you'll get an eye for attention to detail. Soemthing very important these days. No one wants an IT guy who does a sloppy job.

If you do a good job assembling, maybe they'll let you do warranty/service work with an experienced guy. Perhaps that computer shop installs networks, you could even go out with the guys and just plug servers in and install printers. Every little bit like this counts. Don't think this work is beneath you (I'm not saying you think this).

This is basically how I started.

From there, spend some time getting your A+ and moving along from there.
    Thats one of the routes i'm considering taking. I'm also going to be in a A+ class this summer so that helps. I'm going to be open for leaving my wally world job as long as i'll get simular pay and 40 hours... bleh.

• Options
    Just thought of something, it might possibly be possible for me to get a job doing tech support type of stuff at my school.. might look into that. even if its dirt cheap and only a few hours a week.

• Options
    drakhan2002drakhan2002 Member Posts: 111
    sprkymrk wrote:

What great advice! Most companies value inter-personal communication skills above technical skills. Your ability to communicate effectively in a positive way and relate to people will directly reflect your earning power. You can be the best techie in the room, but if you cannot effectively inform other people of a configuration change or handle your boss when they are freaking out on you without losing your cool, then you might want to consider a career that is more solitary - like a long-haul truck driver. Technical skills are easily developed...most people can learn how to configure a router for example. It is logical and has a pre-defined set of commands. Humans do not, they are a variable.

If you're having trouble communicating with people or working with people, then the recommendation to read Dale Carnagie's book is a good start.

To answer your question about how I got experience. When I was in college, I was working in a fitness center. The computer broke down. Someone called the Help Desk...they couldn't fix it...and they dispatched a Level 2 tech to come out and look at the PC. (in the meantime...) I looked at the computer and discovered the network cable had come unplugged from the back. I hooked it up. By the time the tech got there it was fixed. I told him what I did. We started talking and he mentioned there might be a position available at my college's administration building for someone to load software. I took the opportunity...the rest is history and I've worked my way up the ranks over the last 14 years...
    It's not the moments of pleasure, it's the hours of pursuit...