Options

Tough time finding a job...

newdamage1newdamage1 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Looking for some input/opinions.

We recently relocated to the upstate SC from south Fl due to my wife's family relocating, and was really expecting to land a job (something decent, Mid 50's a year) within a few months. Well, it's been six months and still nothing!

I feel that I'm a qualified individual (ten years work experience with Novell and MS & seven years managing technical personnel) and honestly, I have only received four call backs and only two interviews out of close to a thousand resumes submitted.

The reason I post here, is because I currently do not have any certifications, they were never considered that worth wile compared to actual real world experience in my past positions. (My peers would probably consider me in the MCNE and MCSE level area, but its tough to convey that with out the title.)

Do you folks think that not having certs could be hurting me that much? Are job boards (Monster, Dice, Computerjobs) worth the time? And what is with recruiters? Why do I always get calls but never a single call back after submitting my resume to them?

Looking for tips, tricks and job offers. icon_cool.gif

/Frustrated
Kelly

Comments

• Options
    deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    You had 2 interviews, how did they go?
    What are your expectations for callbacks, interviews, and salary?
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Your resumes/applications could be getting tossed because of the lack of certifications. That and a degree are usually the first and easiest things to filter resumes for the trash can. Remember in a lot of cases the HR drones looking over the resumes don't know/care about IT, they just need to narrow down a few candidates to call in for interviews.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    DiddycoonDiddycoon Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hmmm I was sort of in the same boat as you to be honest a few years ago.
    I had years of practicial hands on experience but sweet nothing to show for it.
    This made it very difficult securing decent jobs even with good references to fall on.
    But I got a break with my current employer when a friend that work there put in a good word for me.
    But even then I had to start on a junior level on a real crappy salary until I prove I could do the a entry level job role and show my ability to learn and progress.
    Things are dandy now as I'm in a higher position earning a respectable salary but I didn't want to end up back on square one if things were to go wrong so I decided last year it was time to gain some I.T certifications off my own back.
    My target is to get my MCSA for Win2k3 Server before the end of 2007.

But yer I know first hand finding a good job and a good employer can be hard going.
    Good luck to you, I hope you find something that suits you soon.
  • Options
    mysql1988mysql1988 Member Posts: 115
    I feel your pain........My boss is an employer. When he goes to Monster.com or yahoo.com all he searches for on the job boards are A+, network+, CCNA and MCSE. After finding the ones he wants.............he weeds out the rest with 5+ years of experience.

Experience is always the key but sometimes certicates do help

I would suggest that since you have a lot of experience in IT try getting an MCSE and a CCNA, it will go a loong way to help you.
  • Options
    Ed RooneyEd Rooney Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I hired a guy a few years ago who was in the same boat. He easily had MCSE-2003 and CCNP knowledge, plus experience, but he had (and still has) no certs. I didn't even know how good he was when I hired him, so I didn't give him a ton of money. He easily had "lead network engineer" type knowledge and to this day I encourage him to at least go get his CCNA then bang out the CCIE written.
  • Options
    deneb829 wrote:
    You had 2 interviews, how did they go?
    What are your expectations for callbacks, interviews, and salary?

Both went very well, one was for a help desk type position at a local university, and I think I may have unintentionally slipped that "help desk" was not what I was looking for. (job description was super vague.) The other was down in the Charleston area, and I've actually gone down for the second interview with the IT director and the CFO, that went well (not perfect, I had not done a great deal of research about the organization and the CFO asked me what I had thought of the company, I "BS'ed" my way through and got fairly good feed back.) I am still waiting for a response from them this week. Not to be tooting my own horn, but I interview great, in the past if I interviewed, I received an offer. My salary expectations are not outrageous, (mid 50's) for decent sized company's, and I ask 60's if I will have a team in my charge.
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Your resumes/applications could be getting tossed because of the lack of certifications. That and a degree are usually the first and easiest things to filter resumes for the trash can. Remember in a lot of cases the HR drones looking over the resumes don't know/care about IT, they just need to narrow down a few candidates to call in for interviews.
    Unfortunately, I think you are right. It is a bone head move and people in the biz should definitely know better. One of the best people that I had ever hired, had zero certs, and very little experience, but from his resume and his interview I knew he lived and breathed lan's and networking. I think hes is taking he CCIE lab this summer, I expect he will pass first time through. icon_rolleyes.gif I sure wish I would have heeded my own advice and got my certs like I told my subordinates.

I think I will bang out a CNA this week, I did a testout exam sim this afternoon and did fairly well for not having gone over the test material. I'm not sure what to do after this. I think a CCNA will suit me better, but I will really need a "course" to get me through as I am horrable at the self study material. How long are CCNA courses?

thanks for your input!!!!
  • Options
    liteheddedlitehedded Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CNA is easy
    or at least it was when I took it for netware 5.0
    give it a go
  • Options
    Don_PADon_PA Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hang in there NewDamage and keep your persistance.

I have been there myself unemployed and looking and not getting any offers. I am employed now (contractor) and still looking for a better paying job and it is still tough getting any better offers. I don't know if you are hurting for money/income or getting unemployment benefits. You might have to lower your salary expectations, get something temporary job until you get that offer that suites you and your family. :D

sprkymrk is in SC. Maybe he knows some connections. Some of the guys here are here to help in encouragement because they have been through it before sending resumes, going on interviews and not getting any offers. In the meantime to improve yourself you should study for the certs, create your own network lab to stay sharp. Keep in touch! icon_lol.gif
    CCNA CCDA CWSP CWAP CCA HP Laser Printers MCTS MCSE 2003 JNCIA JNCIS
  • Options
    Don_PA wrote:
    Hang in there NewDamage and keep your persistence.

I have been there myself unemployed and looking and not getting any offers. I am employed now (contractor) and still looking for a better paying job and it is still tough getting any better offers. I don't know if you are hurting for money/income or getting unemployment benefits. You might have to lower your salary expectations, get something temporary job until you get that offer that suites you and your family. :D

sprkymrk is in SC. Maybe he knows some connections. Some of the guys here are here to help in encouragement because they have been through it before sending resumes, going on interviews and not getting any offers. In the meantime to improve yourself you should study for the certs, create your own network lab to stay sharp. Keep in touch! icon_lol.gif

Thanks for the encouragement :) I have been in contact with Sprkymrk, always good to find new contacts!

I don't think I could ever do without my lab/servers, they are definitely part of the house now.

Kelly
  • Options
    Main EventMain Event Member Posts: 124
    newdamage1 wrote:
    Looking for some input/opinions.

We recently relocated to the upstate SC from south Fl due to my wife's family relocating, and was really expecting to land a job (something decent, Mid 50's a year) within a few months. Well, it's been six months and still nothing!

I feel that I'm a qualified individual (ten years work experience with Novell and MS & seven years managing technical personnel) and honestly, I have only received four call backs and only two interviews out of close to a thousand resumes submitted.

The reason I post here, is because I currently do not have any certifications, they were never considered that worth wile compared to actual real world experience in my past positions. (My peers would probably consider me in the MCNE and MCSE level area, but its tough to convey that with out the title.)

Do you folks think that not having certs could be hurting me that much? Are job boards (Monster, Dice, Computerjobs) worth the time? And what is with recruiters? Why do I always get calls but never a single call back after submitting my resume to them?

I think most job sites don't do much, I prefer physically handing in a resume than emailing or posting on job sites, however, with your experience you should get something pretty soon since that's what really matters....

I know NC is booming with growth with so many people from South Florida moving up their and a large percent of the marine industry leaving South Florida moving up their due to a much lower cost for land and so forth.

I think you'll be alright in SC, just keep on hitting the pavement and everything will work out. If you lived in South Florida you know that's not the place to be to obtain a high paying position since it's mostly construction, manual labor and production jobs that they usually advertise....

I'm trying to finish up some more certs and then I'll be leaving myself, personally I cannot wait to leave South Florida and I feel I'll do much better elsewhere.

Looking for tips, tricks and job offers. icon_cool.gif

/Frustrated
    Kelly
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Where about in South Fl?

I just got back from Bradenton/Sarasota area two days ago. I noticed they had a couple jobs in that area around the 50k range.

I am actually seriously thinking of moving to that area.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Stop relying on web based applications (Monster, Careerbuilder) physically go into the potential place of business, chat, explain your situation and drop off a resume. You may be surprised at the results you get.
  • Options
    Don_PADon_PA Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Have you tried this your self Garv? I am pulling for Newdamage/Kelly. I have been through this before when I was unemployed and I experience the same jive from IT recruiters now that I am working and applying for higher paying positions. Maybe with the smaller companies you can do this and go in informally, but with the bigger companies you have to deal with 1-2-3 layer hiring process. My advice is deal with the rejection. I can deal with it when you go through the interview process and at least they email you or send a letter of rejection or choosing another candidate. Some do not have the courtesy of replying back and just leave you hanging. icon_cry.gif

As with IT recruiters, it is a hit or miss with them. Of course I got my job through a recruiter. Some are good (the ones who at least secure you an interview) and some are bad (they interview you and ask you about your background and don’t call you back) The thing is most of the IT jobs are mostly under RHT or Tek Systems. Like it or hate it Careerbuilder still lists a lot of IT postions. icon_lol.gif
    CCNA CCDA CWSP CWAP CCA HP Laser Printers MCTS MCSE 2003 JNCIA JNCIS
  • Options
    TechJunky wrote:
    Where about in South Fl?

I just got back from Bradenton/Sarasota area two days ago. I noticed they had a couple jobs in that area around the 50k range.

I am actually seriously thinking of moving to that area.

I am from the Naples Area, the job market was fairly good. I had a decent job (high 50's, crappy benefits and a cheap boss and no future.)

The Naples/Ft Myers area certainly has job openings. BUT (and this is a huge but) the cost of living is in the neighborhood of 250% above the national average. My house which I bought for 130k six years ago sold for 400k (and in just over a month on the market.) Now the bubble has popped, so prices are down 10-15%, but then you have to deal with the traffic. Just a quick insight, it took me a little over an hour to drive 14 miles to work. and a friend of mine that lived in Ft Myers and worked in Naples his commute was almost 4 hours daily. Oh, and expect to pay 3-6k a year on home owners insurance. icon_eek.gif
    Oh, and did I mention ist's HOT? icon_twisted.gif

I would think that the Tampa area would not be as bad, and probably more affordable, and with infinitely more things to do for social activities.
  • Options
    Don_PA wrote:
    Have you tried this your self Garv? I am pulling for Newdamage/Kelly. I have been through this before when I was unemployed and I experience the same jive from IT recruiters now that I am working and applying for higher paying positions. Maybe with the smaller companies you can do this and go in informally, but with the bigger companies you have to deal with 1-2-3 layer hiring process. My advice is deal with the rejection. I can deal with it when you go through the interview process and at least they email you or send a letter of rejection or choosing another candidate. Some do not have the courtesy of replying back and just leave you hanging. icon_cry.gif

As with IT recruiters, it is a hit or miss with them. Of course I got my job through a recruiter. Some are good (the ones who at least secure you an interview) and some are bad (they interview you and ask you about your background and don’t call you back) The thing is most of the IT jobs are mostly under RHT or Tek Systems. Like it or hate it Careerbuilder still lists a lot of IT positions.
    icon_lol.gif

I have defiantly have better luck with direct hire adds (both local and via the job boards)
    Recruiters..... Not so much.

I have two post-interview "hangers" right now. One was real recent (this morning icon_cool.gif ), and the other was four weeks ago, and not even a peep either way. (even after a email and voicemail left with them) I think that's just the nature of the beast, some people are inconsiderate. I personally made sure that everyone that came for an interview with me received a letter telling them that the position was filled, and the other fluff that put into rejection letters.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Don_PA wrote:
    Have you tried this your self Garv?

Yes, I actually got a job in SC (HHI) by doing that. I have always believed 80% of all the available jobs out there are not listed. Instead of applying to wanted ads, apply to businesses before they need to issue a want ad. From my hiring experience, a want ad is the last resort in filling a position.
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Ft. Meyers seems quit a bit south of the main cities... IE: Orlanda, Tampa, Petersburg. I am amazed at the housing price. It seemed you could get a decent place in Sarasota/Nakomis area for 200ish price range. That included a double car garage and pool.

I can deal with the heat... I was born in New Mexico.

I plan on obtaining atleast an associates before I move. I want to show an employer that I have some college experience. I will also sit down and bust out my MCSE as well. Where I currently live everyone knows who I am so I dont have a hard time finding a job here, so thats why my motivation for schooling has deminished.

I know I just need to get back on the bandwagon and GET ER DONE!

Good luck with the job hunting!
  • Options
    Just as an update, about three weeks after this post I finally started to get calls for interviews. I ended up taking a position with IBM. So all of you looking, keep your chin up, it will come!

Kelly
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    emmajoyceemmajoyce Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey congrats, that gives hope for me here in SC.
    Ive been trying the job boards for 4 months. I get this brilliant idea to actually go to the place of businesses like garv mentioned. The problem is, what type of places need me?? I looked in the yellow pages for networking and computer stores. I dont want to be a pc tech at the local mom and pop puter store. The places that advertise that they do networking is more or less just one guy with maybe a 8.00/hr tech doing jobs around town.
    Garv or anyone, What type of places hire networkers or technicians. I beleive hospitals would be a good try and maybe large motels. Any one have anymore suggestions?
    lungsucker.jpg
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    I'm going to be in the same position as the person above me and the OP.

funny how we're all in SC.... I'm hoping to score a job at school to get some experience. pay will be crap but oh well.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    pbradishpbradish Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I'm glad to hear that there was a happy ending to this thread.