Options

CWNA Prerequisites

I was just reading an article posted by the webmaster yesterday talking about CWNA. This has peaking my interest. I am studying for network + right now, but how much experience do you think you need with wireless before you take this exam? I have experience with my own wireless network at home and I set up a couple public schools on a Mac wireless network (yuck).

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    The CWNP site says the prerequisites are basic knowledge of networking (as exhibited in Net+, CCNA®, CNA, or MCP)

I've read some of the chapters of the official study guide and took (and wrote) some practice questions and it really is 'entry-level'. Everything is covered from the basics. You don't actually need any certification prior to this one, as long as you have basic knowledge of networking which many of you already have from 'just' working in IT or reading our Network+ TechNotes :D
    Of course having passed Net+ or CCNA certainly helps. As you can see they also mention MCP, which you can become by taking the 70-210 Windows 2000 Professional exam for example, which contains very little actual networking basics compared to Net+ for example.

It also seems that for most of the topics you could read any related book, white papers, online docs, etc (about RF basics, antennas, 802.11b, etc.), not just the official study guide. Although I read in the article at certmag that it is written by the same people who wrote the exam... the 'special' they offer at www.cwne.com (book, 450 online practice questions, voucher) for $225 really seems to be the best and cheapest way to go.
  • Options
    Special_k21Special_k21 Member Posts: 155
    Thank you for all the info! Definitely a road to persue in the very near future!