Options

packet tracer

the101sthe101s Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
has anyone used it?

can it entirely substitute for a home lab?

Comments

• Options
    emsrescueemsrescue Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I use it when I am working away from home and stuck in a hotel somewhere. Its OK but does not have some of the commands that real routers and sitches have.

Jon
  • Options
    IncInc Member Posts: 184
    the101s wrote:
    has anyone used it?

can it entirely substitute for a home lab?

1. Yes

2. No

check out Dynamips.
  • Options
    the101sthe101s Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    emsrescue wrote:
    I use it when I am working away from home and stuck in a hotel somewhere. Its OK but does not have some of the commands that real routers and sitches have.

Jon

im taking it it has most/all of the ones youd come across in the ccna though?
  • Options
    mrkoreanmrkorean Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed the CCNA exam without touching a router. Just memorise the important commands like sh run, sh ip route, sh cdp neigh detail, sh ip int brief, sh version etc and understand the debugs/routing table.
  • Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Packet Tracker is a cool program that will definitely help if you don't have access to real equipment. However, it is not a complete substitute for the real thing. Can it be done? Sure.
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    eh, i've only looked at the boston simulator but for the price of simulators (maybe slighlty more) you could probably pickup 2 2500 routers on ebay. I originally was going to go with a simulator but decided to get actual equipment.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685