Options

Are these routers sufficient?

Tricon7Tricon7 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 238
Would a Cisco 2500 Series 2524 Router be a good one to get for setting up a home lab for the first time? I really only need two routers and a switch to get me going, and I saw a deal on this one. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    emsrescueemsrescue Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    IIRC 2524's are modular routers that have 1 ethernet interface and then several possible WAN modules. Do you know if this router comes with any WAN modules installed?

Jon
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Difficult to get a decent link on this old bird but I found something..
    ISDN Router. Wan link isn't home configurable unless you want to pay out a fortune to your phone provider. I think there is some software/hardware out there which simulates incoming ISDN signals but no idea where to find that. Maybe some of the ISDN era readers will know about this.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps233/products_installation_and_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008007e3d9.html

Cisco: EOL/EOS
    Cisco - End of Life - End of Support. (not quite sure what "End of Life" means hehe)

Remember... Google is your friend.
    Kam.
  • Options
    Tricon7Tricon7 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 238
    Hmm. It would seem that these routers probably aren't the best to get. I really need to get two routers for a home setup to get me going. Can someone suggest a router kind to look for on eBay (used)? I may or may not get a switch at the same time. I just don't know what kind of router is going to be best. And keep in mind that I don't want to spend a lot of money at first. Many thanks.
  • Options
    markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
    2610's are the way to go.

If you're using the Sybex book it's even the router that the author is using for all of his configs.

In any case still, 2610.
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    markzab wrote:

If you're using the Sybex book it's even the router that the author is using for all of his configs.

In any case still, 2610.
    But you can use 2500's as long as they have enough memory and a good IOS.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    markzab wrote:

In any case still, 2610.
    But you can use 2500's as long as they have enough memory and a good IOS.

True. But I figured he said the best. May have taken it out of context.
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • Options
    antonio banderasantonio banderas Member Posts: 102
    If I'm not mistaken, 26XX are end of life as well...

They are just more powerful (can hold more memory)
    Network/Radiation Oncology Analyst III
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    yes i think thats correct, just like 2950 switches are at EOS.

but if you plan on going on to CCNP, maybe you should get 2610 or 2611XM routers, since i believe they support the 12.4 IOS that is tested on CCNP. (i think)

I'll be adding the 2600s to my setup once i get my rack built...and a server in there.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685