Options

NETWORK CARDS HELP

terminalterminal Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
HI GUYZ,

I have a labtop with two Network cards that i am trying to connect to.Eveything works fine when i use the ethernet connection but when i leave and try to use the wireless connection am unable to " acquire a network address". I've tried re-installing the nic but this still doesn't work. I the wireless network can be detected, I'm led to believe it is a software issue which doesn't make sense to me. Any take on this guys?
BE WISE,

Comments

• Options
    terminal wrote:
    HI GUYZ,

I have a laptop with two Network cards that i am trying to connect to.Eveything works fine when i use the ethernet connection but when i leave and try to use the wireless connection am unable to " acquire a network address". I've tried re-installing the nic but this still doesn't work. As the wireless network can be detected, the nic should be working. I'm led to believe it is a software issue which doesn't make sense to me. Any take on this guys?
    BE WISE,
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's not really enough information to go on.

Are you near a Wireless Access Point?
    Have you tried moving around to get a better signal?
    Is the WAP using security that would require you to know the key?
    Is the WAP running DHCP?
    Is the WAP using MAC filtering?
    Have you tried connecting at an open public wireless access point like Barnes and Noble, Atlanta Bread, etc.?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:

Is the WAP running DHCP?
    Have you tried connecting at an open public wireless access point like Barnes and Noble, Atlanta Bread, etc.?

Hi,
    I have an excellent signal, i know the wep key, using dhcp and DON't have mac addressing enabled. I have not tried an open wap but my neighbour has managed to connect to my wap. Hope thats clarified things a bit.
    BE WISE,
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    terminal wrote:
    sprkymrk wrote:

Is the WAP running DHCP?

Hi,
    I have an excellent signal, i know the wep key, using dhcp and DON't have mac addressing enabled. I have not tried an open wap but my neighbour has managed to connect to my wap. Hope thats clarified things a bit.

Yes it does. :)

Okay, aside from a driver or hardware problem, I will ask an obvious question that might have been overlooked - Are you using compatible devices? 802.11a/b/g? Some WAP's are backward compatible, some are not, and some you have a setting you can specify whether or not you want it to be. Find out what kind of wireless card your neighbor has. On the other hand, if you say you are getting a strong signal you are most likely using compatible hardware.... Hmmm... icon_confused.gif

I guess I would try two things. Temporarily change your WAP to "open" and try connecting. Second, find a public access point and try connecting there.

After that I would probably try yelling and screaming at the stupid laptop and threatening the dumb Access Point, but that never seems to work. It only makes me feel better. icon_lol.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.