Options

Can RIPv1 route through seperate networks, not subnets?

markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
This question stems from another problem/solution thread we've got going.

If I have 2 subinterfaces on a router set up with different network IP's, if I'm running RIPv1 will a host off the 1st subinterface be able to see or reach a host off the 2nd subinterface. Example:

RIPv1 is classful so I have lets say...

e0/0.1 IP 10.0.0.1 (class A IP address with a default mask of 255.0.0.0)
e0/0.2 IP 20.0.0.1 (class A IP address with a default mask of 255.0.0.0)

To RIP these are 2 completely different networks, not subnets.

Can RIP route via 2 different networks? I had thought no, only through subnets on the SAME network (ie. 10.1.0.0, 10.2.0.0, 10.3.0.0, etc).

This is driving me insane. Thanks.
"You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yes, that's the job of routing protocols.

Even the dippy old V1 version of RIP can deal easily with the major classfull networks (and various combination of).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
    mikej412 wrote:
    Yes, that's the job of routing protocols.

Even the dippy old V1 version of RIP can deal easily with the major classfull networks (and various combination of).

Ok, I can get off this damn site now for the day. icon_lol.gif

Been bugging the crap out of me. I thought it was only subnets on the same network that RIP could propogate (right word?). :D
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky