Options

Advice for MCSE Certified woman

huddahudda Member Posts: 101
Hello every one first, I appreciate your time all of you sharing your experience in this forum it is a very helpful keep it up.
My situation is in short currently living overseas no jobs studying for CCNA, I earned MCSE 2003, last year I am planning to come back to Toronto, Ontario in a month or so. I was working as IT support for a year, I want work as System Admin, or systems engineering. When I get there unfortunately does not seem like that, when I look up the net the jobs description most places they ask at least 3-5 years experience to work as System Admin. which I do not have that, what should I do, do you think is a smart idea to take IT support jobs while I am MCSE certified what should I do. I am confused ………………..
Please I need your professional advice.

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    You apply to the jobs anyhow. I have applied for plenty of jobs that ask for experience and have actually gotten call backs. If you don't take a shot at it then you will never know if you might have gotten the job. Put out as many resumes as possible regardless of experience and win them over in the interview. As long as you know your stuff they will recognize it.
  • Options
    IncInc Member Posts: 184
    My advice would be to apply anyway. Best would be an assistant job, so you can practice and have someone to lean onto for tough decisions.

A few months practicing like that and you can ask for some servers to look after on your own.

That is the way I would do it. And if you are passionate enough - set up a home lab and play with it on your free time - it will pay back.

Good luck :)
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Why does the fact you are "Advice for MCSE Certified woman" really make this choice different from you compared the the men?

For any job that a person applies for they (man or woman) need to sell their highpoints and how they'll be an asset for an organization.

Experience comes in many forms, so find a peer review group and work out possible questions, objections to your resume, and find (and practice) suitable answers that you yourself believe. The market is constantly in tranistion, and few people make 1 year at a company let alone 5 to gain '5 years' of experience in one area. Generally people will take some entry-level position and grow into new responsibility....or they go to another company.

Point is....there are many applicants who don't meet 100% of the criteria of the job posting but are able to 'sell' their skills to the company and excell when they are hired. So seek the positive in what you bring, and I wouldn't sell the 'female' fact it isn't relavant to hiring talent to a company. Great HR people know to fill with the best applicant not the best 'man' or best 'women' for the job (unless it's a modeling gig ;) ).

FWIW
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?