Include bio/homepage with resume?

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
I was thinking about putting together a small homepage with my picture and bio, so that an employer knows who I am. I'd put a link onto my resume that directs to this page, so it would be optional.

I don't see anything wrong with it, unless the interviewer sees something negative. I'm under 25, so I don't know if that might be an issue if they are expecting someone older. That's generally the reaction I get with a lot of interviews in the past.

I'll probably make one anyway for the heck of it. Any suggestions for a free host provider? One that's free, but not littered with popups and ads. Just something I could throw a picture and some text on. Nothing big.

KG
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I'd actually recommend against this, but if you have your heart set on it, you may try www.photobucket.com

They go in spurts between accepting new members and not accepting anyone, but it may be an option.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • IncInc Member Posts: 184
    For a freelance photographer that would be a good idea.

For a sysadmin? Imho, not so much. What else can you put up there, besides what is already on your resume?

Of course you can put detailed previous project descriptions with schematics, implemented redundancy and failover plans, etc.

Make that available as pdf download too, for easy offline reading/printing.

And one more thing. You want your own domain for that. Period.
  • Ye Gum NokiYe Gum Noki Member Posts: 115
    Yeah, if you're a web designer, it's probably a good idea. Other than that, I would suggest that you not do it. Nothing to do with your age at all. And I don't know you or your personality, but some times the things that we think are "pretty cool" others might find flamboyant, braggadocious or eccentric.

The only thing better, than a good solid professional resume,for getting your foot in the door for an interview, is marrying the CEO's daughter (or son). icon_lol.gif

Good luck,
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do." John Ruskin.
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    I would also suggest if you are doing this, get your own domain name.

IMO, its over rated.
  • drakhan2002drakhan2002 Member Posts: 111
    I don't see much value in having your own personal web page. I think that most interviewers either:

(1) wouldn't take the time to look it up
    (2) could care less
    (3) would think you're too one dimensional (is this guy's whole life computers?).

I think it would work against you, if anything. But it is a fun idea...
    It's not the moments of pleasure, it's the hours of pursuit...
    I have one friend who attached his website to his resume and he landed a great job working for EA Games as an Interface Designer.

However, his line of work is a lot different. His employers wanted to see past work history/jobs that he had done as a graphic designer.

To get an idea, here is his website.

http://www.waynechen.ca
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well, I mainly suggested it because I could use it to display some of my hobbies, so employers don't think of me as a one-sided guy(which I most am). A professional website would be a great idea. I only know html, so my web-design skills certainly aren't up to the task. Then again, I'm only talking about a small page with a picture and some text. It might be unnecessary to spend a bunch of money getting someone to make me one.

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Ye Gum NokiYe Gum Noki Member Posts: 115
    K,

I will be blunt, because you are not listening: Employers do not care about, nor will they be impressed by, your hobbies. It's a JOB, not a social club.
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do." John Ruskin.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You don't need to tell your employers about your DBA work, websites, software developing, kickball, and others. If you are asked in the interview about your home projects or hobbies, then this is when you should identify these activities.

If you want to build it for fun and not post it on your resume then of course we can't stop you nor would ever want to.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'm a little divided on this issue. I'd agree with the general consensus that a personal website will generally serve a creative professional (such as a photographer, graphic designer, web designer, etc) better than a network engineer or a systems administrator. However, I have found that a lot of companies expect you to have some basic HTML/CSS knowledge, even if you're really just tweaking Cisco equipment or managing servers. So, I have the following. . . well. . . thoughts on the subject:

First thing's first. If your skills are not up to the task, don't do it. An amateur-looking or WYSIWYG-generated site for an IT professional is a nail in the coffin, that's for sure. If you have the skills and experience necessary to create a standards-compliant, functional, and professional-looking website for yourself, then you're in a much better boat. Of course, there has to be a reason why you're making this site. You can't just throw some URL on your resume simply because you made it, that's not very professional either.

The only time I could think of a network engineer or a systems administrator (or the like) would have a personal website featured on their resume is the following: If you have very little working experience, and you've done lots of contracting work. If you have documented and recorded specific projects, and you have something substantial and real to show for it, that may actually show a certain level of experience that you have that normally wouldn't be reflected on your resume since you didn't do the work for an established company. In this case, documentation and customer references are key.

Again, as mentioned, listing a personal website is risky. You walk a fine line between a professional showcase of your skills and experience, and looking like you're trying too hard to impress the potential employer. My best advice is this: if you're unsure of your skills and you haven't created business websites before, stay away and leave it off your resume altogether.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    TechJunky wrote:
    I have one friend who attached his website to his resume and he landed a great job working for EA Games as an Interface Designer.

However, his line of work is a lot different. His employers wanted to see past work history/jobs that he had done as a graphic designer.

To get an idea, here is his website.

http://www.waynechen.ca

TJ, your friend has a outstanding 'portfolio' and considering the job market he is in....this was a really impressive way to show it. FWIW
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Ed RooneyEd Rooney Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As an IT manager who has gone through the hiring process 20 or so times, I wouldn't bother with this. Nobody cares. Spend the time which you would spend on your homepage and do something useful that makes a difference on your resume.

Out of the thousands of resumes I've reviewed, a few dozen have had homepages or whatever, and I have yet to feel the urge to look at them.
    Planetwiz: Agreed. I actually hosted his site for many years until he finally landed his job with EA. I then went about and set him up with his own domain name and hosting company through an actual company that does this for a living. At the time I was a small hosting company. We met playing Quake 3 out of all things. He is still a really close friend and does awesome work to say the least.

I wish I had a 1/3 of his talent in graphic design that he holds in his pinky. I have asked for test work when we had a Quake 3 clan back in the day and his stuff was flat amazing. No wonder he is an interface designer for EAGames. Last I spoke to him he said his name is on the credits of BF2 and BF2142.