Options

How can I disable Administrator Rights from Home system

telecomops101telecomops101 Member Posts: 128
Whenever I login into my home computer system it asks for an administrator password so i just hit enter to get into the system. I cant figure out how this was setup tp prompt me for an admin password. This was always a home computer and i reinstalled 2000 when i purchased a new computer for my wife. i did setup a small network between the two computers to reansfer files, but i cant figure out how this system is set up as administrator. When I am in the system I cannot make any changes under user settings or anyplace else because i am not logged in as administrator. I cannot even download or install an application for my camcorder or certain applications. Any suggestions how to resolve this. Please help!!!!
"Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence."

Comments

• Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    If you are fairly computer literate you can resolve this with the following...

Start>Run>regedit

Click on the following...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SOFTWARE
    Microsoft
    WindowsNT
    CurrentVersion
    Winlogon

Look for a key on the right that says AutoLogon.... It prolly has its value set to 1. Change it to 0.

Then Look for a key called ForceAutoLogon, Change that to 0.

Now look for a key called DefaultUserName and let me know what that shows. Also look for DefaultDomainName and let me know what that shows. It should be your computer name.

Restart and your computer should now ask for a username/password.
  • Options
    Look for a key on the right that says AutoLogon.... It prolly has its value set to 1. Change it to 0.

There was no Auto logon, but there was an AutoAdminLogon and it was set to 0
    Then Look for a key called ForceAutoLogon, Change that to 0.

No key called ForceAutoLogon.
    Now look for a key called DefaultUserName and let me know what that shows. Also look for DefaultDomainName and let me know what that shows. It should be your computer name.

The DefaultUserName is my wifes name and the DefaultDomainName is waht iset it for AHOME.
    "Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence."
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Quick question.

I assume you set this up as a workgroup rather than a domain?
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    Yes it was setup as a workgroup
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Heres the KB URL that explains the other replies:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234562

You should only need the first steps 1 - 4 rather than the registry edit.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    OK, I am at work so ia ma no 100%, but I beleive when I did go to users and passwords I dont remember seeing the option to clear the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer check box. If this is true, I guess I would be setup as a domain. I can't understand why, but if it's true what would be my next steps to look at. Thanks for all your help.
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    PM me your address information and I will burn you a cd that will allow you to reset the administrators password.