Options

Is your nose brown???

misman1982misman1982 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
My coworkers think mine is. I don't know; I just do my job without questioning. Our boss has a tone of voice that sounds condescending even when she's telling a joke. When she talks to me, my coworkers think her voice changes to a nicer tone.

I am able to go out to the field and work on end-user problems while the others are stuck at their desks remoting in to the user's computers. I don't take advantage of it; I go there, deliver, and come back.

I try not to let it bother me and I don't want my coworkers to think I'm able to get my way.

It's nice to think that my boss can trust me to do my job without supervision and not hover over me to make sure I'm not looking at web sites and not posting on message boards... icon_lol.gif

Comments

• Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Bosses like good employees. Tell your other co-workers to shut the hell up.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's like this at my current job. My boss is amazing. She basically has over 100 people under her and she holds her composure extremely well, but you can tell it can be stressful. I'm definitely not a brown noser, but I don't give her crap. I do my job, do my best, and try to make her life a bit easier by not giving her a hard time. I'm sure she knows this, and she is very nice to me, and we get along when we talk. It's not ass kissing to me, it's doing my job, and having her be thankful for it.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    IncInc Member Posts: 184
    They are feeling insecure and are picking on you. Imho, don't let it get to you.
  • Options
    plettnerplettner Member Posts: 197
    I had this from fellow employees when I was working a helpdesk. They'd log 20-30 calls a day and logged the usual 40-50+ a day and had a good resolve rate.

The boss and supervisor saw I was doing a good job and they made sure I was looked after. The other 2 on the helpdesk saw this as brown-nosing and they'd say something to me.

I don't care. I was paid to log and resolve incidents. The job was a one year contract.

It paid off that I did a good job there. Here's why:

In another post on this forum I mentioned I am in process of accepting a sweet senior desktop job on AUD$69000 back at the same place the old helpdesk job was. One person who was on the interview panel was my old supervisor from the helpdesk job above. He then said to me the next day after the interview that I was the preferred candidate for this new senior desktop job. :D

icon_idea.gif The moral is, do your job well regardless of what the co-workers say. Managers remember people that do a good job and you'll never know when that comes in handy.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    If you are not brown-nosing (as I'll bet many people has seen several butt-kissers in our day) then don't sweet it.

Do you job as you have been. Evaluate that you are infact 'doing your job' and not flurting, but you likely already know this answer.

So don't let the nay-sayers bring you down to their level. When the budget gets cut, the more productive employees (if not in a union) stand a better chance of keeping a job!

The fact that you are able to get field gigs may be a sign that you are ready to a promotion of sorts. If your co-workers are only able to log remote sessions, perhaps it is a sign you have more skills (people skills, network skills, personality to be face-to-face with a client). A manager cannot send a heavy smoker, poor dresser, poor language, poor attitude type of employee to a client. While that employee may be very good inhouse, they don't have an image that reflects well on the company....perhaps you do?

Do what you do. If you're getting the work....keep doing what you're doing so long as it is ethical.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    Even still, so what if you do brown nose. This isn't highschool this is the workforce. Do what you have to in order to get ahead without stepping on peoples toes or burning bridges. People kiss the boss' ass all the time. If they don't want to BN then don't. If you want to, then more power to you. People are sometimes too concerned with other things besides what they need to be concerned about, mainly THEIR JOB.
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well it's better to have the co-workers assuming your brown nosin it instead of "well how johnny depp puts it" Woo'ing your boss!! haha...

Any who...
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    Ye Gum NokiYe Gum Noki Member Posts: 115
    One of the "secrets" i learned long ago, was "make your boss look good, and you boss will do the same for you." Brown nosing? No not at all. To me it means, do what you boss expects you to do and then some. Every boss appreciates the employee who goes above and beyond. Too bad, most employees don't get that. What you're doing is not called "brown nosing," it's called "getting ahead."

Good luck,
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do." John Ruskin.
  • Options
    SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    I guess it is...if doing my job to the best of my ability, liking my job and wanting to provide for my family...is brown nosing, haha.
  • Options
    deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    The people who have accused me of brown nosing in the past tended to be the slackers. You bust your butt at a job, come in early, stay late and sometimes it pays off with a promotion. I zipped past a guy with seniority at one of my jobs and he got really bent - which was funny since he was actually a friend. He felt that if he just shows up everyday, he should be next in line for the promotion. I didn't bother explaining, but we still remained friends while we worked there.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    SRTMCSE wrote:
    ....doing my job to the best of my ability, liking my job and wanting to provide for my family....

Can't put it plainer than that.

Getting a job you like isn't easy and when you do, you get stuck in just out of enthusiasm. If your coworkers are calling you this it is more than likely they are both jealous and too lazy to get their own a$$ into gear. This is how supervisors and managers are made by those who say "Stuff you.. sit and wallow if that is your thing but don't expect me to do the same..."

Or to put it another way.... "F*** EM!" :)
    Kam.
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    My moto has always been, if you have to question it, then you more than likely are.

If you dont have to question it, then you already know the answer.

*shrug*