Options

292 and 296 exams to be retired

sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
This info is a few days old and I am not sure if it has been posted or not but I thought I would put it up just in case. It looks like if you are an MCSA/MCSE in Windows 2000 you only have a limited time you can upgrade to 2003 before the upgrade exams retire. Here is the link.

http://mcpmag.com/news/article.asp?EditorialsID=1251
Working on: MCSA 2012 R2

Comments

• Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Oh.. I need get it done ASAP. They just reprint both study guide from MS Press...
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    tibultibul Member Posts: 240
    erk damm i better hurry and get my upgrade exam done, before they retire them icon_eek.gif
    Studying 70-292.
    Aiming for MCSA: Security and 2003 upgrade.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Does anyone know what is going to happen in regards to the MCSE certification? Is there going to be a Longhorn (or whatever) MCSE, or was 2003 the last interaction? I was just curious how the new TS exams are going to be fit into the entire equation.
  • Options
    jfmcaninchjfmcaninch Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The MCSE name will be changed with post 2003 exams, ie. No MCSE 2007 or what ever year they add to the moniker. The MCSE will change to MCITP.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/newgen/default.mspx

I would assume we can and should still use the MCSE moniker when referring to Windows NT 4, 2000 or 2003. It will take some time before recruiters and HR's transition from MCSE to MCITP. Nor should we say MCITP 2000, 2003.
    Currently studying for 70-410 hoping to write June 2016 with end goal of MCSE:Server Infrastructure
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    jfmcaninch wrote:
    I would assume we can and should still use the MCSE moniker when referring to Windows NT 4, 2000 or 2003.
    Yes. The MCSE cert never retires, just the exams. That said, their value will eventually expire.
    Nor should we say MCITP 2000, 2003
    Indeed, as it would say nothing. The MCTS and MCITP certs focus on certain technologies. So you can also become a MCITP multiple times(many times even).
    The MCSE will change to MCITP.
    Not really 'change to', but for many the MCITP will indeed be a replacement for the MCSA/E.

As for the initial post, it looks like they will need to update the following page some time, seems to be abandoned:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/status/examstoretire.mspx
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Thought I'd chime in on this discussion. I watched this webcast from March 28th of this year, regarding the future of the MCSA/MCSE exams, the upgrade paths that will be available, and what the MCITP will look like for Longhorn.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nice link - that's what I was looking for.

That link killed firefox though icon_sad.gif I really love session restore :)

The parts I cared about are:

Discounts for MCSE 2003 and 40% savings on Longhorn certs if you get your MCSE by June 30th: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/upgrade/ws2003/default.mspx

The rest of it pretty much says that the Longhorn exams will take on the format of the new exams, which are more focused on specific areas. It wasn't clear if there will still be some kind of title, such as MCSA/SE given to those that complete a certain group of exams. Preview info in May for MCPs and more complete information in June.
  • Options
    jasonbochejasonboche Member Posts: 167
    Webmaster wrote:
    jfmcaninch wrote:
    I would assume we can and should still use the MCSE moniker when referring to Windows NT 4, 2000 or 2003.
    Yes. The MCSE cert never retires, just the exams. That said, their value will eventually expire.

Not entirely true, at least for a short period several years ago. When Microsoft retired the IIS/Index Server exam back around the year 2000, they made is such that the exam no longer counted towards certification, thus, anyone who needed this exam to maintain MCSE certification actually LOST their MCSE certification title when this exam was retired. It was a really strange thing that MS only did to 2 exams I believe. Anyway, I was one of the impacted people and it really upset me that I lost my MCSE title. I ended up passing another elective exam several years later and so then my MCSE on Windows NT 4.0 kicked back in. So when you look at my transcripts now, they say I achieved MCSE on NT4 in September of 2005 which is ridiculous. Really I achieved it on 12/18/97.

I complained heavily to MS about this but they wouldn't budge. I explained the situation and said at the very least, will you change my MCSE on NT4 achievement date back on 12/18/97? And they said no, we can't, the whole certification process is entirely automated and we can manually change anything in the program. What a crock of crap. I spent so much money, time, and effort to pass these exams and this was the treatment.

I'm pretty much over it now but I think MS is still a piece of crap for treating me like that. As an MCSE 3 times over, who knows how much money I've dumped into their program.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    I'm glad I did these 2 exams last year, phew... Good luck to those who still have to do them. Remember currently there is no upgrade plan from the MCSA/MCSE 2k to the MCITP for Longhorn, currently there's only a plan for an upgrade path from the MCSA/MCSE 2k3.

-ken
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think this will be last time to upgrade MS certification..! Time to study again
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn