Options

vent

brianglbriangl Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
Someone called me from an I.T. staffing company about a help desk job. The pay is only $11-12 / hour.

I was very tempted to go for it, but upon further thought realized that, no matter how badly I want to get into the I.T. field, I can't work for that kind of money. My wife is already trying to find ways to cut expenses, because our mortgage just went up. I have a feeling that health insurance wouldn't have been included either. I am trying to increase my income not take a cut.

I have been trying to get into the field for a long time. It could have been the start of something good for us. Oh well...

I guess I will just keep trying to continue my education and hope it will pay off.

Comments

• Options
    mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    Hang in their buddy. If you're currently working and making more than the IT job, stay with that job. But if this it what you really want to do, you might have to suck it up and take a pay cut. Sometimes you gotta fall back to jump ahead...it could potentially be more beneficial by taking the pay cut now as opposed to this happened later on in life.

Regardless of your choice, keep looking and goodluck!
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    Ye Gum NokiYe Gum Noki Member Posts: 115
    Consider this: Take the job with the pay cut and get a second job. Sacrifices have to be made. It could be the start of a new life for you. and your family. How bad do you want it?
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do." John Ruskin.
  • Options
    deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    On a Nov 15th post you wrote:
    briangl wrote:
    Still stuck in the "no experience, no job" cycle.
    (and from the same post)
    Currently in a low paying, dead end non-IT job, living from month to month, struggling just trying to keep a roof over our heads and need to move on ASAP.

How low paying is your current job if you don't want to take an $11 an hour job?

In November, you also said
    briangl wrote:
    Currently studying for 70-290. Plan on doing CCNA after MCSA. After that, whatever. One thing that attracts me to this field is that there is always something new to learn.

In that thread, I mentioned a seeming lack of motivation on your part which you took as an insult. It's been almost 5 months since that post. Did you get your MCSA or did you switch to studying for the CCNA?

Dude, I am not picking on you. I don't just criticize people and then don't offer them something - that just makes me look like a donkey. If I am going to take the time to do a few swings with the get a clue bat then I am going to offer you some sound advice.

I knew what it is like to be you. A lack of motivation, with a sprinkling of depression, and a heap of 'the world owes me something'. Bottom line - employers don't give a crap about your situation, nor do they feel compelled to pay you what you feel you are worth because you think that you are motivated and work well with other people. You seriously need STFU and decide what you are willing to do and quit whining.

At this point you have 2 choices - stay at your dead end, low paying, go no place job that pays more than $11/hr. Or you need to bust your hump in the beginning like the rest of us did. Take whatever IT job you get and change your lifestyle to deal with the new pay. If you can't afford it, then it looks like you are staying where you are.

You can go ahead an tell me that I am all wrong and share with me how it really is with you, but my money is on in another 5 months a rant, no more certifications, and still in that dead end job. I seriously WANT to help you because I have been where you are. I didn't start in IT until I was almost 27 years old. I took my 1st job for $6.50 an hour and have worked a second job when times were tough. Now, almost 13 years later I am glad that I did it. Yeah, along the way it was hard at times, yeah, it was almost 10 years between my A+ and current certifications, but I wake up everyday knowing that it's been all worth it because I get to do what I love.

Brian! Don't lose another 5 months or 5 years! Take the job, now! It's going to be tough for a bit, but you can do it!
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • Options
    brianglbriangl Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
    deneb829,

I am highly motivated. I just completed my first semester in the Cisco Networking Academy with a 98 average. I think it was the highest in the class.

As I said, I was venting, not looking for your comments.

As far as having to take a pay cut, I can't do it. I am not loosing our house and moving my family into my car until I can get into this field. As I said we are just scraping by now.

deneb829,

You don't know what you are talking about. I wasn't whining and I don't think anyone owes me anything. Do me a favor and don't reply to my posts.
  • Options
    deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    briangl wrote:
    deneb829,

I am highly motivated. I just completed my first semester in the Cisco Networking Academy with a 98 average. I think it was the highest in the class.

As I said, I was venting, not looking for your comments.

As far as having to take a pay cut, I can't do it. I am not loosing our house and moving my family into my car until I can get into this field. As I said we are just scraping by now.

deneb829,

You don't know what you are talking about. I wasn't whining and I don't think anyone owes me anything. Do me a favor and don't reply to my posts.

Not replying to your posts is no problem, since I am obviously wasting my time trying to help.

When you finally get that job you're looking for, go ahead and send me an 'In your face, deneb' message - I'll apologize. I certainly don't mind being completely wrong.

With all sincerity, good luck to you.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • Options
    supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    vent = whining. icon_wink.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • Options
    mwillmwill Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I understand what briangl is saying and I agree and disagree.

I agree, I wouldn’t take a job paying 11-12 an hour if you can’t live on that income. Why would you? Unless your single and can skim by, but with a family no way dude!

However, I think briangl has to understand being offered 11-12 an hour with no professional experience in IT is a great start. Sadly I know this salary will not suffice with his living requirements. I think my point is he will not find more pay than this for someone with his experience or lack there of.

I know briangl it’s a sad reality! Some folks do get lucky and they know people in the company or field and can get more pay and ahead quicker than others with minimal experience. But buddy if you don’t know anyone like this, the sad truth is 11-12 (give or take a few) is all your going to be offered.

As you said “I guess I will just keep trying to continue my education and hope it will pay off.”

That’s all you can do at this moment until you get an entry level job paying the same as your non IT job now! Hope this happens!

Best of luck
    Marcus Williamson
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    11-12hr for IT? Are you serious? Most people at Fred Meyers make more than that starting. A brand new bank teller makes 12hr. Bottom of the barrel IT IMO should make atleast 14hr.

Who would want to deal with all the headaches of IT for only 11-12hr. I did it once and I helped as a stepping stone, but I was also 17 at the time. I am now 24. So 12hr 7years ago with an A+... I would really hope they are paying more than 12hr from 8 years ago.

Depending on where you live may play a factor, however 12hr is easy money around here as long as you arent working for MCdonalds. Hell, even McDonalds around here starts out at 8.50 for high school students.
  • Options
    Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    TechJunky wrote:
    11-12hr for IT? Are you serious?

Yea, tell me about it icon_mad.gif
    i herd u leik mudkips lol
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Bet your a$$ someone will take it and then the rest of the hirers will follow slowly.
    Real deal is the phoner was an agency and the actual hirer is only prepared to pay $12-$20. The phoner is being greedy and trying to take more cut for themselves.... Bet I am right!

Plumbing is really looking attractive isn't it?
    Kam.