Options

distribute-lists in ospf

EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'm just playing around with distribute-lists and seeing what is possible to do to manipulate routes.
Anyway i know distribute-lists cant be used when sending updates in ospf but only on routes being placed into the routing table.I've checked this on inter area routes but still ospf doesn't allow this feature so i'm stuck with filter-lists.
So just looking at route manipulation in respect to the routes entering the route table my config is as follows.

ip prefix-list techexams permit 10.0.0.16/30

route-map test permit 10
match ip address prefix-list techexams
set metric 189

router ospf 1
distribute-list route-map test in

Now the route 10.0.0.16/30 is an intra-area route learned from a neighbor in the same area, but when i check the routing table the metric isnt changed.Is the metric option in a route -map only used by bgp? if not can you see what the problem is?
Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$

Comments

• Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ed, ..bro -- come on -- you are a CCIE candidate icon_cool.gif

is this only a test?

you are injecting a route -- not filtering the one that came into the router right?
    ok - post the diagram and the route.

cheers.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    EdTheLad wrote:
    Is the metric option in a route -map only used by bgp? if not can you see what the problem is?
    I've wondered the same thing about setting the metric in a route-map.... when using a prefix-list. Is that BGP only?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a008047915d.shtml#unsupp

Does it work if you use an access-list instead of the prefix-list?

I was there a few weeks ago..... and have decided that it will be something like this during redistribution that will kill me in the R&S Lab. icon_eek.gif

Welcome to my current worst nightmare. icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Ed, ..bro -- come on -- you are a CCIE candidate icon_cool.gif

is this only a test?

you are injecting a route -- not filtering the one that came into the router right?
    ok - post the diagram and the route.

cheers.
    Who's put that rumor out about me being a ccie candidate? I haven't even received an invite to the main event yet!
    Anyway no diagram, you shouldn't need one.The idea i had is to use the distribution list to select a route, then manipulating the route parameters as they enter the route table with the route-map.

mikej412 wrote:
    Does it work if you use an access-list instead of the prefix-list?

I was there a few weeks ago..... and have decided that it will be something like this during redistribution that will kill me in the R&S Lab. icon_eek.gif

Welcome to my current worst nightmare. icon_lol.gif

Yep, it's a bit of a mine field with all the different combinations.I tried with an access-list but i get the same result.I even tried this with eigrp but it doesnt work, i tried modifying the metric, tag next-hop but nothing changes.I also discovered you cant specify a route-map on a distribute-list in rip.So using the route-map with the distribute list isn't giving me any results as of yet.I'm nursing a nice hangover so its difficult progress.
    Thanks for the link.
  • Options
    table 2 -- what document mike refered to answer the question,

but -- your output which specify the metric still 189 does correct however -- because you actually did not modify/manipulate anything into the routing table -- in other word the routing protocol did not execute any route metric modification.

if -- that is if -- OSPF can accept route metric modification in redistribution -- say like + or - 2 -- just like in the document -- maybe the metric will change +/- 2.

cheers.
  • Options
    The document and Table 2 are in regards to redistribution, in my configuration i didn't have redistribution.I was trying to modify a route via a distribute-list, maybe its not possible to do.Since the option route-map is available under distribute-list i thought i'd give it a try.This feature is just not supported, but it was worth a shot after all this is what the ccie is all about.
  • Options
    upssss.... totally missed that redistribution part ;) -- sorry.

but -- now it will go to my previous post then,
    just for filtering the routing table.

cheers.