Options

Terminal Emulator for Linux?

dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good terminal emulator on Linux? I want to be able to connect to home from work to use my lab, but the only machine near my routers is a linux box. A guess a console app would be the best. That way I could just SSH into my machine and not have to deal with any GUIs.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    cambeicambei Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ah. Thanks for that Webmaster. I have used putty on Windows for a while but didn't realise it could be compiled for *nix.

Just compiled it on my linux box and it worked a treat. I'll still have to use minicom for remote access to my routers though.
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    I am not understanding your question. If you are already using putty with windows, why do you need to use putty on Linux? Use putty to ssh into your linux box then telnet or use minicom to access your routers. I don't understand why you would need to compile putty on your linux box. Just use ssh.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah, if your Linux pc is on the LAN you can just ssh to your linux PC and use telnet from there.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    Thats not what I meant.

I dual boot XP and Linux on my desktop machine. So it is nice to have the option of using putty in linux rather than minicom.

However, if I am at work, I ssh to the Linux box and have to use minicom as I can't use X forwarding. Telnet obviously doesn't give me out-of-band access unless I use ser2net, but that does not let me cleanly exit the telnet/console session.
  • Options
    Can you explain why you would want to use putty in a Linux environment? Linux already has ssh functionality. Unless putty does some thing i never heard of. I thought putty was strictly for ssh. I know you can use tunneling on it also. What does X forwarding have to do with anything? How does putty give you out of band access?
  • Options
    Putty is not just for SSH. It can do terminal emulation for serial connections, telnet, Rlogin and raw sockets IIRC.

The reason I would want to use it on linux- I use it in windows so it is always nice to be able to use the same apps in both OSes. Also, minicom uses some key sequences and has a few things that niggle at me, so it would be nice to possibly avoid this by using putty.

By saying Putty gives you out of band access, what I meant was that putty can be used for serial console connections.

The reason I mentioned X forwarding was because I remotely access my CCNA lab from work. I do not have a 2509 or 2511 to use as a terminal sever. Instead I opted for buying 6 extra serial ports for my Linux PC (as I said earlier it does dual boot windows but for remote access I leave it running linux). I then ssh into this linux box and run minicom to have console access to each router. I can not use putty remotely unless I can use X forwarding as it is a GUI app, so I will still have to use minicom for remotely consoling into the routers.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So are cambei and dynamik the same person?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Got you, I know what out of band is, I just didn't know the full functionality of ssh. Excuse my ignorance. I see your point now. I understand about the X forwarding now also. So basically you have six serial connections on your Linux box and you have a router connected to each for out of band remote access. gotcha!
  • Options
    sprkymrk: Nope....
  • Options
    Nope... He totally hijacked my post! icon_eek.gif

Interesting discussion all the same. Thanks for the replies.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    dynamik wrote:
    Nope... He totally hijacked my post! icon_eek.gif

Interesting discussion all the same. Thanks for the replies.

Mind if I hijack this just a little further?

Anybody know of a good multi-session terminal windowing environment for Linux (think something like Citrix). I know about multinix, but I'd like to find something that will allow multiple users to log in via Windows RDP or some similar protocol.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    Absolutely not.

Would something like VNC work? Is there a limit to the number of incoming connections? I've never had the need to use more than one connection...

[Edit]
    Answered my own question: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vnc

It looks like Apple Remote Desktop is the only one that supports multiple sessions.