Very Nervous about upcoming interview

ITNYCITNYC Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, Its been a while since i post here but ive been working at my current company for 2 years now and have been looking to leave this slavery for a bit now. Well, as it turns out, one of the guys i worked with at my current job left for a much better opportunity for an investment bank and has recommended me to the manager there for an open Server Tech position. im stoked but at the same time, pretty nervous. What type of questions come up in these interviews? Usually they have phone screening but since i was recommended from the "inside" i have a direct interview with the IT manager and supervisor. How could i help better prepare myself? This job will pay $25k more than what i make now and i will have the chance to work along side great IT Professionals and learn ALOT more. Any advice guys? Thanks!

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    -Make sure you 'know' or have read all the literature about the company (website, brochures, etc...)
    -With a friend on the inside, know all the key people, but don't just rely on the good words of your friend, make sure they see 'you' and not merely a friend referal (meaning, avoid "Joe told me about 'x'; Joe said 'y'; Joe, Joe, Joe....) Shoot for 'I know'; 'I've read'; 'I'm aware' that your company does 'x','y' and is working toward 'z'.
    -Know WHY you are leaving your old job ... or looking to leave and keep them and you in a positive light.
    -Can you see yourself working there for a few years? Or will you leave at the next 'big break'. (meaning do you know yourself well enough and are you in a relationship that may take you out of the area, do you have a house or are you renting? etc.... You may not be disclosing this information, but make certain you don't just blurt it out).
    -Have a clean and simple resume prepared.
    -Dress a little above the position
    -PRACTICE

Otherwise, general Interview stuff. Have some questions in mind before hand. KNOW how to handle the oddball questions so you are not stumbling or blurting out bad comments. HAVE FUN :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • initialdinitiald Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Plantwiz, great advice! You forgot one thing though....RELAX. :)

ITNYC, I have a big interview coming up as well and a little bit nervous but as Plantwiz said, do your 'homework' and everything will be fine. Also, be confident.....but not arrogant. ^^
    Regg'

"Life without knowledge is death in disguise."
  • scullersculler Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have been through a number of technical interviews. A number of them have take the form of a verbal exam. The interviewer gives you a scenario, and you have to work through the problem asking questions until you come up with the solution.

The key to these for me has been to listen closely to what the interview says and then ask good questions. If you don't know about a specific topic, play it straight and let them know that you will be willing to learn about it. In most cases they will know if you are giving a BS answer.

If you know specifics about what you will be working with it can help to spend some time at a book store looking through current books on the systems they use.

It sound like you are in the position of just having to present yourself well and the rest should follow.

Good Luck
    Sculler
    Do Good Work, Keep In touch, Have fun.
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Your friend will have put a good word in for you and this will go a long way. The interview is for them to see you for themselves and see that you are upto scratch and see you are a normal person with a normal sense of humour and that you will fit in. I have just started a new job which I got from a friend on the inside recomending me and it is the best way as they already have good info on your work ability.

Try to be calm and not fluff it up. Remember, you are there for a reason and it is not like you are trying to blag it. Your friend said you can do it and they just want to make sure.

No preassure but my interview for mine was 2 hours long although it is highly technical with a particular user base I have a lot of knowledge of. The SLAs for the new job are some of the fiercest I've ever seen. $26,600 / minute fine for running over the SLA. (going to have to take several changes of underwear each day)

Good Luck. Relax and be yourself and you will be fine.
    Kam.
  • plettnerplettner Member Posts: 197
    It also won't hurt to do a bit of research on the company's direction for IT. What software/hardware do they use, what do they plan to use, etc, not only from a technical point of view.

For example, a contact I had at a company I got an interview for said, "know a bit about Share Point - the manager's in love with Share Point". So I did. I threw in a bit of what I knew about Share Point at the interview and "bang", this manager guy's all-teeth. :D . I could see his eyes light up when he saw I had an interest in Share Point!

This is the job I got recently.