Options

dual booting vista with ubuntu

christenm123christenm123 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, heres the deal.

I'm currently pondering dual booting my Acer Aspire 5100 laptop which is currently running Windows Vista with Ubuntu 6.10. My own concern however is if it will be able to utulize the drivers I have installed for Vista without having to track down a set of Linux ones. I was having this problem before on Vista where my computer randomly crashed until I realised I needed to upgrade my processor drivers, and I was wondering if I would have this same problem with Ubuntu.. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Stan27Stan27 Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No way, Ubuntu doesn't do that! :P

You won't be able to use your Vista drivers, but you may not even have a problem like that with Ubuntu. The only way to find out is to try...

Ubuntu will run off the CD on the first boot, so pop the CD in and mess with it for a while to see if all of your hardware is supported and to see if you encounter any stability problems.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    Doesn't Microsoft Virtual PC get the same job accomplished, plus its freeware? (I'm not sure if that program is freeware or not, I just glanced at the page :P)
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Doesn't Microsoft Virtual PC get the same job accomplished, plus its freeware? (I'm not sure if that program is freeware or not, I just glanced at the page :P)

Hold on..

I'm not familiar with MS Virtual PC, but I am with MS Virtual Server

Does virtual PC let you boot Linux operating systems?
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    I booted it on my schools PC, and although very slow (the computer I'm using only has 224 mb ram) it worked, but then I just decided to dual boot it with Windows XP since my teacher let me. The laptop I have at home has a gig of ram so I'm sure I'll have a much nicer experience with Ubuntu.

But, short answer: Yes, it supports Linux OS's.