Options

Post your study tips and methods here

Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
It's common knowledge that everyone studies differently. What may work for some may not work for others, but understanding how others study can greatly benefit how you approach studying yourself.

I think we should all take this opportunity to post methods and ways in which we study and prepare to take these tests.

Here's my contribution. Make flash cards to learn IOS. IOS is a command line operating system that has its own syntax and structure, and the only way to learn it is to drill it. I see people recommend to others to practice using the commands on an actual router or switch, but I've found that to be a very time consuming and ineffective method. Rather than actually typing the IOS commands, use your mind to visualize them by quizzing yourself with note cards. Write what the command does on one side, then write what the command is on the other. Read what the command does, then in your head visualize what the command is. If you use your mind, there's no question mark to ****, and no context clues either. In your brain, you can't hit the tab key to complete a command, you just have to know it. If you can clear the hurdle of learning IOS, it really makes learning the rest of the ideas and concepts much easier.

Please share how you guys study. Lets not argue about each others' study methods, because what works for one person may not work for another. This can be a great way to pick up ideas that can help you, so lets keep it civil and productive :)
CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
pbosworth@gmail.com
http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/

Comments

• Options
    NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Im studying this way for the CCNP

I read the CCNP BSCI study guide chapter im readying and try to understand every single thing i read.
    Then read more about it in in my book of Routing TCP/IP of jeff doyle
    Then read on internet more about it.
    Do lots of labs of that(with dynamips) i also have a mini board in which i draw my scheme of routers and the subnets and all i need to configure the topology im doing just by looking at that board.

If i dont understand something im reading or something im doing in the lab i ask in forums if im not able to find the asnwer myself....

I do that with every single chapter.

I did a similar thing but less intensive for CCNA and graded 961 on it

The other thing is that i love reading this kind of things which helps a lot also.
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    The first thing i did was buy two different books. I usually read chapter in a book then read the corresponding chapter in the other book. I make hundreds of note cards to quiz myself on commands. I also write down facts in a notebook in an outline form. Writing things helps me to remember them better. I also highlight those important facts in the book. Once I am done reading the book i will go over all the highlights.
  • Options
    kafifi13kafifi13 Member Posts: 259
    I like the IOS Flash card method. I think i'm going to try that tonight. You make a good point. I know most of the commands but every once and a while i get them mixed up.

The way i have been studying and it seems to work so far is to read the chapter(Cisco press by Odem) Copy down the foundation summary in a notebook. Try and study those notes or summary but making photo copies of the notes and reading them while i workout. On the exercise bike, in between sets etc. I have a problem sitting at a desk just trying to memorize definations. I figured if i mixed it in with my workout so that way i can quiz myself or think about the topic while i'm working out. Kind of weird but works. After a couple of days i go back and re-read the chapter adding some more notes along the way. I then take the quizzes for that chapter that are in the CD and at the end of the chapter. Not sure if this is a good method but so far it seems to work for me. I'll let you guys know on the 30th since that is when i will take my first Intro exam.

Kareem
  • Options
    james_james_ Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I find I most effectively learn by writing good, comprehensive notes on chapters. Not just things that I have to "remember", but full notes on each chapter. I think my ICND notes were about 10,000 words long, but for me, I just take things in a lot better that way. I usually use at least 2 written references, "tagging on" notes from the second book to the notes I made from the first one, giving me a complete note-set for both books.

Additionally I always use a good CBT to fill in any gaps, plus any real world experience I can get my hands on, and a really good set of test questions, Transcender usually fits that bill.

Thanks,
    James.
  • Options
    I'm noticing a lot of people using 2 different Books. Is this the norm? I'm using the cisco press book but anything i don't find clear i usually go on Google and try to find out. I am using a couple of different References such as the portable command guide and the Cisco Flash cards. My main focus of study is on the Cisco Press book and i think it's pretty solid.
  • Options
    CucumberCucumber Member Posts: 192
    Using several books works for me.

What I do is reading some subject in a book doing some notes, then I try to write a summary; a lot of questions arise when I try to write it. Then I read other books (the more the better) trying to fill in the gaps. After all that I answer some practice questions; if some questions talk about topics I didnt know about or some doubts come up while answering, then I research on such unknown topics in the books or in the forum.

For instance, for the CCNA I used the Wendel Odom books first, then I read the Richal Deal book, then the Todd Lammle book. I used the questions from the book Que/CCNA Practice Questions Exam Cram 2

I have noticed that I have to read my notes very often, like every 4 days or so, or after finishing another subjet, otherwise I start forgetting everything. icon_lol.gif

I also type the configuration and show/debug commands, and what they do, on notepad, repeatedly; yeah thats odd. icon_redface.gif
    I hate pandas
  • Options
    Rather than spending another $50 on a book that will just re-state what's already in the Sybex book, I read the subject I want to know more about on cisco's website. The Cisco website has documentation for virtually everything you'd want to know, in as much detail as possible. I figure that by the time I've got the Sybex material down I've got enough of a fundamental understanding to get through some of the dense stuff at Cisco's site.

I'm going to second taking notes, too. It may be that I'm a college student and I'm just used to outlining and taking notes of my text, but it simply works. By writing stuff down in a notebook (not typing) and hand writing my note cards, the information sticks in my brain. It takes longer to write something than to type it so I end up mulling over it longer.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • Options
    NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well at least my idea of having a second book is having a higher level book in which it explains you more in deep whats happening
    For example
    If i read something about the OSPF and i didnt understand something i read in the study guide or it LACKs of explanation i consult my CCIE routing tcp/ip book... which explains it a way more deeper and better sometimes
    I actually use the second book as a consulting book dunno... sometimes i read of the thing i reading on it but i use it more for consulting.
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For me:

1. I read all the book the firs time. I take notes and underline (I do all the labs)
    2. I used TrainSignal, I watched the videos two or three times.
    3. Review every chapter two to five times until I understand all the material. (I do my owns labs using Dynamips)
    4. I do exam simulator, after that I checked where I fail and go to read again.
    5. I use two books.
    6. I come to this forum two or three times a day to check new post. It helps me to change my mind.

Raul
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm still working on my CCNA, but this is my process I used for the 70-290, 70-270, and Security+, and it should apply to any exam.

I have a subscription to http://safari.oreilly.com/ which allows me to view anything in their catalog for $50/month (which saves me a ton as I can go through a book or two per week). I use a minimum of two different written resources, sometimes I add a third, such as an exam cram and just skim it for new information. I always make sure that at least one of the resources has a good hands-on lab section. The MS Press books tend to be pretty weak comparatively, but they walk me through pretty much all the related activities for that exam.

Hands on is crucially important. If you just memorize something, you can pass your exam, but you will have a much more difficult time retaining the information into the future. For my MCSE training, I purchased VMWare workstation and an MS Technet subscription. I can have a fairly complex network setup running from one machine. For my CCNA work, I have a 2511 access server with a few 25xx/26xx routers and a 2950 switch.

For the Security+, I started watching CBT Nuggets, which I have absolutely loved. They're not exhaustive by any means, but you get a great 30-40 minute primer before jumping into any topic. I'll continue using these for all my future exams.

I also use the Transcender practice exams. The exams are the same format as the real exams, and the flash cards can be brutally difficult. After awhile you'll start to memorize the questions/answers, but even if you know the correct answer simply because it's familiar, be sure you can explain why it's correct, otherwise go back and review.

I agree with the note taking as well. I actually setup MediaWiki (essentially my own personal wikipedia) on a linux box I had lying around. I've got hundreds of pages of notes and topics I've created. It's really fun once you get into. Plus it's free, so give it a try. I actually picked that up from the www.lifehacker.com book.

Also, try and find some podcasts to listen to. MS Technet has one, and IT Idiots is another one that's fairly informative (and what turned me on to VMWare). Another one I've really come to love is Security Now.

This is probably overkill for most people, but not only do I want to pass the first time, I genuinely want to learn the material. The more resources you can use, the more perspectives and opinions you will be able to experience, and you will have a much greater understanding as a result.
  • Options
    markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
    I have always used a 3-step process and it's helped me pass 6 tests without a "fail" on any of them (NA, DA, NP):

1. I read the book the whole way through. I don't do any of the labs or quizzes at the end of the chapters this time through. I do it like this because I am trying to read the book as if it was a story I was reading. Gets into my head a bit better this way and it's really like a rough run through.

2. I used to then start the book over but this time writing down every detail from every chapter. Now with the PDF version of the book I do the same but on the PC. I split my screen. 1 side is an open blank word ducument, and the other side is the PDF version of the book. I skim through the chapter and copy from the PDF onto the word doc every important piece of info. When I first started doing this I noticed that the word doc needs major formating (text size, bullets, sentences taking more than one line, etc.). This wound up being a blessing in disguise because once I've got the entire chapter finished I have to go back through the word doc and reformat everything with bullets, bolding, sentence correction, and what-not. Essentially it's almost like I'm writing notes twice because I'm reading what I'm transfering, and then rereading it as I format it. Then once the entire book is done I use these as my own personal exam cram notes. Just to give you an example, Chapter 1 in the Sybex book went from 46 pages down to 7 word doc pages. When you cut out what I call "author talk" you get down to the nitty gritty. The author talk is what makes it a story for me in step 1. In this step, after I cut it out, I'm left with what will help me learn and pass the test.

3. After I've finished creating my own cram notes in step 2 for the entire book I go over them a few times and focus on the parts that are the hardest for me...or the parts I am having trouble remembering. Once this is done I start doing the labs and chapter tests. I also find other practise tests. I do as many of them as I can and focus on the areas that I get wrong until I can't find a test where I got less than 90%. I might go through my notes with a friend as well and have him quiz me on the info. That helps sometimes too.

This process has always worked for me. I think I might also incorporate the command line flash cards that were mentioned here. It seems like a VERY good idea...which is the main idea of this thread. Good stuff.

Note: My methods may seem like overkill but what they do for me is not just teach me how to pass a test, but really stamp into my brain the information I'll need to KNOW for my career as well.
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • Options
    I like your idea. I might try then when i begin study for the ICND. I see your point with the story line and it is important to get a flow to the reading.
  • Options
    james_james_ Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Note: My methods may seem like overkill but what they do for me is not just teach me how to pass a test, but really stamp into my brain the information I'll need to KNOW for my career as well.

And give you a head start on the more advanced certs. You simply cannot hope to achieve an advanced Cert without fully comprehending the fundamental basics IMHO. I say icon_thumright.gif to overkill.
  • Options
    james_ wrote:

And give you a head start on the more advanced certs. You simply cannot hope to achieve an advanced Cert without fully comprehending the fundamental basics IMHO. I say icon_thumright.gif to overkill.

You're correct. You don't have to write IMHO because it's a fact. icon_wink.gif

Just to give you a good exmaple of the stamp on the brain. I've been out of the field since like 2002. That's 5 years. I've learned an entirely new line of work as well that has nothing to do with computers, routers, etc. I picked up my book March 15th and when i first started reading it was like I recognised what I was seeing but I didn't know it. By the middle of the book my mind found the locked up room where all of the stamped in material was and opened the door.

I was amazed at how deep in the back of my mind I still had retained the material from 5+ years ago. I consider the CCNA to be the CORE. Like in Cisco's Heirarchial Model, if the core fails or falters...the rest of the network is affected.

KNOW YOUR BASICS!
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • Options
    Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    home lab:

1924-standard (bought this by accident)

Todd Lammle CCNA 5th Edition
    The Bryant Advantage CCNA Study Guide
    The Bryant Advantage Newsletter

1 hour a night for 3 months then INTRO
    1 hour a night for 1 month then INCD

2 large dry erase boards
    -1 with outline for the week for each day
    -1 with general notes and terms (DLCI,LMI,ENCAPS,STP STATES, etc...)

Step 1. Read
    Step 2. Lab Excersize
    Step 3. Test/Quiz
    Step 4. ReRead/Review
    Step 5. Lab Exercises i puke till i vomit (complete write erase and resetup completely)
    Step 6. Quiz/Test Again

I found that my last 2-2 1/2 months of studying were just reviewing

passed both on first try

Intro-900
    ICND- 853
    i herd u leik mudkips lol
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    i avoid studying as much as possible.

thats going to bite me in the ass in a few weeks. exams! i expect 3-4 redbulls a night, and lots of all nighters.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I do it a little different than everyone else i think, i dont take notes, i dont do practice questions.
    I read books and while i read, i write out the important parts, by writing it helps me absorb the info.
    After i finish i finish writing i throw the paper away, i hate the idea about killing tree's but since i don't buy books i'm not so bad.
    Then i start drawing little topologies trying to figure all the possible problems i could have, this is the hard part as my imagination isn't great.Practice questions can be good for ideas so i am prone to checking if there is anything at the end of the chapter worth a glimpse.
    I try and understand everything logically and if i cant i can get really bogged down until i get it.My methods have changed to this technique over the past couple of years and now when i finish a topic i'm sure i know it. I find studying for exams is a bad way for me to study, i find myself falling into a mental race, racing to get the cert before i have solidified the knowledge.
    Anyway my cert chasing days are over, i prefer the relaxed more concentrated approach i am using now.I use this forum as a good refresher, and its great to get a different perspective on various technologies.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    EdTheLad wrote:
    I do it a little different than everyone else i think, i dont take notes, i dont do practice questions. I read books and while i read, i write out the important parts, by writing it helps me absorb the info.After i finish i finish writing i throw the paper away, i hate the idea about killing tree's but since i don't buy books i'm not so bad.

Then i start drawing little topologies trying to figure all the possible problems i could have, this is the hard part as my imagination isn't great.Practice questions can be good for ideas so i am prone to checking if there is anything at the end of the chapter worth a glimpse.
    I try and understand everything logically and if i cant i can get really bogged down until i get it.My methods have changed to this technique over the past couple of years and now when i finish a topic i'm sure i know it. I find studying for exams is a bad way for me to study, i find myself falling into a mental race, racing to get the cert before i have solidified the knowledge.
    Anyway my cert chasing days are over, i prefer the relaxed more concentrated approach i am using now.I use this forum as a good refresher, and its great to get a different perspective on various technologies.

Ed, that was pretty funny man. You must be tired. Most of what you just wrote was opposites. Here I'll break it out whats in bold. Pretty funny...

"i don't take notes"
    "while i read, i write out the important parts"
    "dont do practise questions"
    "Practice questions can be good for ideas so i am prone to checking if there is anything at the end of the chapter worth a glimpse"
    "I read books"
    "i don't buy books"

icon_lol.gif :P
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah i got a bit bored to explain my wacky study techniques.
    I read ebooks, notes are for keeping, i just write details and throw away 5 mins after so its not really note taking.I dont go to the end of a chapter and do the whole load of practice questions, i pretty much have a look if there are any good topologies and make up my own questions.
    After ccna i realised the test questions at the end of chapters are rubbish so i dont bother.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    I tried using ebooks for a while but the inability to flip between pages quickly really annoyed me. With most books, there'll be many situations where an example spans several pages, and using the back button on PDF's drives me nuts. I like being able to flip the page quickly. I also like having something that I can hold in my hands, that's bound, and that can be quickly referenced. I can print out massive ebooks at work but it's just not the same. The supplemental information that comes with most books these days is very helpful as well.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • Options
    Paul Boz wrote:
    I tried using ebooks for a while but the inability to flip between pages quickly really annoyed me. With most books, there'll be many situations where an example spans several pages, and using the back button on PDF's drives me nuts. I like being able to flip the page quickly. I also like having something that I can hold in my hands, that's bound, and that can be quickly referenced. I can print out massive ebooks at work but it's just not the same. The supplemental information that comes with most books these days is very helpful as well.

They have these new things on the mouse called r-o-l-l-e-r-s. You just roll down to the next page. And for the need to have something in your hand...wel... icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    markzab wrote:
    Paul Boz wrote:

They have these new things on the mouse called r-o-l-l-e-r-s. You just roll down to the next page. And for the need to have something in your hand...wel... icon_lol.gif

icon_eek.gif
    i herd u leik mudkips lol
  • Options
    Aquabat wrote:
    markzab wrote:
    Paul Boz wrote:

icon_eek.gif

:P
  • Options
    The Prize Is LobsterThe Prize Is Lobster Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Im glad I stumbled across this forum. Ive been half assedly studying CCNA mostly due to having pretty bad ADD. Im shooting for uhhh mid June at this point, so I kinda need to pull my boot straps up and get to it.

markzab wrote:

1. I read the book the whole way through. I don't do any of the labs or quizzes at the end of the chapters this time through. I do it like this because I am trying to read the book as if it was a story I was reading. Gets into my head a bit better this way and it's really like a rough run through.

this in particular is a great idea. I tend to learn similar to this. Gets a bigger picture on everything and makes it all sort of mesh.

The flash card idea in particular is a really good one. I did the same with A+ and Net+ and it made stuff click moreso.
  • Options
    JammywanksJammywanks Member Posts: 127
    I start taking online quizes or quizes off some test engine and when I come across something that I'm stumped on, I open my book and get to the right chapter and start reading about it. Once I have read enough I select what answer I think fits best.

OR vice versa, I read a chapter, then start taking the quiz, and it jogs my memory of what I just tried to absorb into my brain. Then, of course if I'm stumped, I open the book again..

.... um duh...
    I think I can call it.. an open book test. icon_redface.gif

In addition you can use your notebook and write notes and stuff to help you remember key points.
    CCNA Lab: Two 1720's, one 2520, two 2924XL switches
    [IPCop box] PIII 1GHz | 512MB RAM | 1 Gig Compact Flash HD
    Errors in your CCNA text book? Never mind, the authors don't care.
  • Options
    JammywanksJammywanks Member Posts: 127
    Oh second thoughts... I was speaking to someone who was good at studying. He said there are books on just HOW TO STUDY. Like how to study effectively and efficiently as possible, making the best use of your time. Yes, there are methods of how to recall memory and how to memorize many things into simple reference points in your head.
    CCNA Lab: Two 1720's, one 2520, two 2924XL switches
    [IPCop box] PIII 1GHz | 512MB RAM | 1 Gig Compact Flash HD
    Errors in your CCNA text book? Never mind, the authors don't care.
  • Options
    sexion8sexion8 Member Posts: 242
    When reading, I read out loud ....
    http://www.umass.edu/advising/forms/Study%20Strategies.pdf

Most of the times, I have a little voice recorder (http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catalog/product/sku__DS701ZZZ) when I read so I sort of record myself when reading, then I copy it to an mp3 file, splice it up, then burn it to a CD to listen to when I drive to work...

I have most of the CBT nuggets videos and I've extracted the audio portions and listen to them too when I drive. You figure... I drive about 70 miles a day (2-from work) so it gives me time to keep things fresh.

Now when I read, I try to visualize a method for me to understand it and I record that, then I also give the textbook explanation...

I've created desktop images of certain things I want to remember, for example, when I was learning NBAR, I created an image of all the variables, and then I kept it as my desktop for about 2 weeks. I use transparent terminals (http://www.infiltrated.net/openpimp.jpg) , so it was always in my face... Kind of hard to forget....
    "Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    markzab wrote:
    I have always used a 3-step process and it's helped me pass 6 tests without a "fail" on any of them (NA, DA, NP):

2. I used to then start the book over but this time writing down every detail from every chapter. Now with the PDF version of the book I do the same but on the PC. I split my screen. 1 side is an open blank word ducument, and the other side is the PDF version of the book. I skim through the chapter and copy from the PDF onto the word doc every important piece of info. When I first started doing this I noticed that the word doc needs major formating (text size, bullets, sentences taking more than one line, etc.). This wound up being a blessing in disguise because once I've got the entire chapter finished I have to go back through the word doc and reformat everything with bullets, bolding, sentence correction, and what-not. Essentially it's almost like I'm writing notes twice because I'm reading what I'm transfering, and then rereading it as I format it. Then once the entire book is done I use these as my own personal exam cram notes. Just to give you an example, Chapter 1 in the Sybex book went from 46 pages down to 7 word doc pages. When you cut out what I call "author talk" you get down to the nitty gritty. The author talk is what makes it a story for me in step 1. In this step, after I cut it out, I'm left with what will help me learn and pass the test.

3. After I've finished creating my own cram notes in step 2 for the entire book I go over them a few times and focus on the parts that are the hardest for me...or the parts I am having trouble remembering. Once this is done I start doing the labs and chapter tests. I also find other practise tests. I do as many of them as I can and focus on the areas that I get wrong until I can't find a test where I got less than 90%. I might go through my notes with a friend as well and have him quiz me on the info. That helps sometimes too.

This process has always worked for me. I think I might also incorporate the command line flash cards that were mentioned here. It seems like a VERY good idea...which is the main idea of this thread. Good stuff.

Gotta admit I've slacked for about a week and a half now, but last night I finally finished phase 2 of my 3-step study process. In the end I was able to cut 11 chapters of 590 pages from Lammle's CCNA book down to just 57 word doc pages of uninterupted raw knowledge. I'm having it printed out and will start craming over it tonight. I'll be doing this until I recieve my 2nd router and switch which are in transit and should be here by Tuesday. Then I'll be ready to lab it up.

This thread was such a good idea. I've actually decided to add a step to my routine and go with the flash card concept that someone else here mentioned. In the back of the book there is an appendix which gives you every command that was used in the book, it's meaning, and what chapter it was from. This will really stamp into my head the commands and their meanings which wont only help me immensly on the test, but for my future in the field as well.

Just thought it was worth a post in this thread.
  • Options
    JNekoJNeko Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wonderful thread.

In addition to all the suggestions already mentioned, I will add my pocket change for what it is worth.

Summarize/Teach peeps - like many have already mentioned, summarization is a terrific way to help you grasp information more rapidly. However, you don't always have to jot down your thoughts during your summarization sessions; instead, you can just talk out loud to youself about what you have just read, as if you were personally teaching someone sitting right beside you. I recommend creating some kind of time frame interval system for summary sessions. For example, have a session after every new term you come across, or for every page that you finish reading. Every paragraph? All hinges on how deep you want to go with your studies. Try your best to exercise any special terminology learned.

Look up EVERYTHING that you don't understand - and not just things with CCNA, I mean any technical terms you are not sure of. I often, in the beginning especially, would refer to www.answers.com for clarification, as it usually provides more than one definition. Sometimes, one definition will allow me to understand completely, while others would simply leave me at a loss. It seems to be in the wording. If you find yourself having to look up the same thing time and time again, don't worry, it will stick, trust me. Having trouble with remembering acronyms? Get used to saying the entire meaning out loud when you come across them, even if for only a time. I can't tell you how many times I said Integrated Systems Digital Network, instead of "Services".

Good luck.
    A common type of network bridge, in which the host stations are unaware of their existence in the network.
  • Options
    malwethmalweth Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I use software called "Supermemo." ($45 from their site)

It allows you to create slides (in WYSIWYG HTML) and create flash cards from those slides. It's pretty similar to the methods used above, but a pretty unique program implementing it. The flash cards are given to you based on an algorithm and if used daily you'll remember at least 95%.

I'm going through the CCIE Odom book... I read ahead when I'm not taking notes and making slides and I tend to stay about a chapter ahead. It's a new system for me, but I do like the fact that I read the chapter and immediately start taking notes on it (while rereading). It's a pretty slow process but none of us are running races, right?

My CCNA & CCNP were both from bootcamp. Bootcamps are definitely a different type and level of learning which rely on the student's own studying and work experience. I do recommend the bootcamp method if the student is dedicated and already has some background in the topics... which bootcamp you choose can make a big difference, though! (I've used American Interactive both times.)
    128  64  32  16  |   8   4   2   1
    128 192 224 240  | 248 252 254 255
     25  26  27  28  |  29  30  31  32