Keeping track of experience and so on...

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
I've been thinking lately of some sort of portfolio, or something where I can easily show things that I've worked on, programs I've written, etc. However, I'm not quite sure how to go about this and haven't been able to find a whole lot of information.

Does anyone here keep detailed records of things they work on, if for no other reason than to just be able to go back over at some point. After working in the same place for going on 4 years, keeping track of every piece of software I've installed, every problem I've had to troubleshoot, and so on, becomes somewhat difficult.

Are these types of items even worth keeping track of so you can mention them to prospective employers in the future?

Comments

• /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    17 views and no one keeps track of what they work on at work?

icon_wink.gif
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a portfolio but have not updated it for a long time. I tried to focus on big projects, special training courses, etc.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just setup Word Press or MediaWiki up on an old linux box or find free blog/wiki providers and well.. blog or wiki about it.

[Edit]
    To answer the second part of your question: I'd just focus on items that you think are noteworthy. Saying your installed Windows or Office probably isn't that big of deal, but if you used RIS to deploy Windows to 250 machines, that would be more significant. Just stick with the highlights :)
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Yeah. icon_lol.gif

What brought this on is basically the custom software I've worked with, like right now I'm working with software that controls, monitors, and polls gas pumps. I figured this stuff would be worth noting, because it isn't a common thing to work on and a few years down the road I may not think to include this in my "experience" when applying for another job.