Crash course... testing on Monday... starting study... TODAY

binarypowerbinarypower Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have been on and off (more off) studying for the 70-270 test for a few months. I found a promotion at work that requires a+, network+... and MCP. I just need my MCP to get the job (hopefully).

I want to know what the test highlights are... is it a big percentage on installation... are there some things I need to study more than others?

I should know it really... i mean this is my line of work (call center tech support for PC's and servers). I did the a+ and network+ in 2 weeks back to back.

What were some of the hardest parts you wish you could have gone back and studied more?

Comments

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My advise to you and everyone else is to get a couple books and CBT Nuggets, set up virtual labs, and fully learn the material. The objectives here clearly state the topics you need to have an understanding of, so you can use that. Other than that, nobody can get specific on what will be on the exam as that is technically a violation of the NDA. The book or two you should be reading should cover the topics discussed in the objectives. If your situation prevents you from learning the material to its fullest to be someone who truly deserves to hold a certificate, then that's unfortunate. Don't take offense to the following as it's a generalized statement, but the last thing people need in the IT industry is people who spend a week to pass an exam (without prior experience) who will end up just forgetting everything. I truly believe that to pass an exam and obtain a certificate, that the individual should truly possess the knowledge and expertise in order to obtain the certificate, not just doing the bare minimum in a week doing shortcuts to obtain it.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • rhelt100rhelt100 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have been on and off (more off) studying for the 70-270 test for a few months. I found a promotion at work that requires a+, network+... and MCP. I just need my MCP to get the job (hopefully).

I want to know what the test highlights are... is it a big percentage on installation... are there some things I need to study more than others?

I should know it really... i mean this is my line of work (call center tech support for PC's and servers). I did the a+ and network+ in 2 weeks back to back.

What were some of the hardest parts you wish you could have gone back and studied more?

Well, good luck with that. I can tell you from personal experience that working with and providing tech support for XP for several years didn't even come close to preparing me for this exam. There were several pieces that I had zero experience with, even though I had supported and used XP for a long time. Examples of this for me were language settings, automated installations, and VPN/dial up connections.

Really, I wish you the best of luck...but I'd be very surprised if you were able to prepare for and pass this exam in 3 days without using one of the **** sites that are on the internet.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My assumption was that this was going to be an easy test since I've performed numerous installations of XP and worked with dozens of machines over the years, so I figured I'd have a pretty good grasp of the material.

After working a little with the Transcender practice exams, I realized that I was going to have to really work for this one. It's easy to think of XP as being easier than the Server 2003 exams since it's a client OS instead of a server OS. Then you realize that the Server 2003 exams are split up into a bunch of little pieces while you have to take the entire client OS in one shot.

Compare the training materials for various certs. The XP books are 1.5-2 times the thickness of most others, the CBT Nuggets training comes on two CDs instead of one, etc. The point I'm trying to make is that there's a lot of material that you're really going to know. I used the Sybex book, the MS Press book, the Transcender exams, and other various resources, and I still came across questions on the exam that I know I hadn't seen mentioned in any of the resources I used (mostly weird stuff about bluetooth).

Of course, I did all my studying in 3-4 weeks and got a 905, so if you've been putting a decent effort into it for a few months, you've probably got a good handle on the material. There were no "highlights" on my exam. The questions were all over the board, so be strong in all areas. Just take the time to be prepared. There's no sense in rushing it and throwing your money away.
  • sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Which is better CBT Nuggets or Testout? (Or are they both about the same)

Thanks
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CBT Nuggets is definitely a lot more popular although it is only video training, but very well done. Testout throws simulations in the mix but the video training quality is subpar compared to CBT Nuggets. I would, without a doubt, go with CBT Nuggets and do your own labs since you'll need that hands-on experience to help get a better understanding of how the technology works.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    CBT Nuggets rock. I hate to admit I hadn't even heard of them before I joined this forum. The best part is (at least with the ones I've seen) is that the presenters actually have personalities, and they make the videos somewhat entertaining.

I got the TransTrainer video instruction CD for my CCNA training through Transcender, and it was essentially a guy reading cue cards in a monotonous tone. I could only stomach about 15 minutes of it. I love the Transcender practice exams, so I was really disappointed that the product fell that short of my expectations.
  • sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys - I will check out CBT!
  • hhisgetthhisgett Member Posts: 181
    You might try looking at Learnkey as well. They are more expensive, but they do good job with the material IMO. I like to read the Sybex books, then review with Learnkey for that visual reinforcement, then work on the labs.
  • jacev1jacev1 Member Posts: 107
    I should know it really... i mean this is my line of work (call center tech support for PC's and servers).

Why not take 271 and/or 272? (MCDST)

IMO it's easier than 270, it sounds like your "line of work" & you can still earn your MCP.
    Wars not make one great. Coffee makes one Great!
    - Master Yoda
  • rhelt100rhelt100 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Any update? I'm curious if you actually managed to pass this with 3 days study.
  • rstainforthrstainforth Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    rhelt100 wrote:

I'd be interested to know, as I found this one harder than the 290 to complete...so many topics! and a real mix of client/server stuff (eg installations....its not enough to be able to do it off the cd, you need to be able to do RIS etc as well).

I took 270 first as I thought it would have been easiest, but when I took it I kicked myself for not trying something like MCDST first (I've only been working in IT for a year, and its been a real steep learning curve)
  • coldbugcoldbug Member Posts: 189
    rhelt100 wrote:

Well, he had been studying on and off, and his job's exp might help to pass it.
    But 3 days might even be challenging for Paul Allen...hmm.. Paul could probably do it in 3 days. Bill won't, cause he is more into saving the poor at this moment, and dont know about XP anymore.
    "If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."