The beast is My Lap Dog

slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
Alright, maybe I am over stating the case a little, but I did pass. (first try)

I got three sims. Heavy Dns, wsus, fair amount of ipsec. I scored a 760, but I feel like the sims weren't all that great. Example Not explaining what interface to use in RRAS etc. I feel like Ms could do a better job of making Question requirements more clear.

I used Ms-press 2nd edition, cbt nuggets, Transcender (although less than usual) and I have a home lab with three servers, used Technet also.

Comments

• SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congrats on the pass, I wouldn't have minded getting that score on my first go at 70-291. And don't worry, you're not the only one who felt a little left out by Microsoft's explanations. The thing is, they're Microsoft, they assume you already know what way they mean since that's how they recommend you do it.

You can do it right, you can do it wrong, or you can do it the "One Microsoft Way".

What's next on the cert-hitlist?[/i]

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
  • FredK9972FredK9972 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey, congratulations! That's awesome for a first try. I'm impressed. bowing.gif I know how hard the 70-291 can be; I just got slaughtered by it on Tuesday morning.
  • JdotQJdotQ Member Posts: 230
    Congrats! Good work :D No need to be disappointed with that score, a pass is a pass!

How long did it take you to get through the MS Press 2nd edition & CBT Nuggets?

Don't forget to update your Certification listing in your profile icon_wink.gif
  • slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It took me like a month and half maybe a little more, but I work for a GM supplier IT dept. Night shift just me and one other tech in a room, our main function is managing a database MES (manufacturing Execution system) So alot of the time we don't get called out to the shop for the entire night so I have alot of study time at work. I can't stress how important it is to have a lab and work hands on.

My study process is.

Read the book, watch the training videos, and then imitate what James Conrad is doing and then experiment with things that you don't have a firm grasp on. This helps with retaining the information as well as actually understanding it.

I have a 3Ghz 1.5 gig mem laptop that I run two VMware servers in and I have a 3ghz 512mb desktop running a server. I am about to upgrade it to 1.5 mem.
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • paulkantorpaulkantor Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • jimmyp83jimmyp83 Member Posts: 18 ■■□□□□□□□□
    congrats man! I just passed mine today
  • georgemcgeorgemc Member Posts: 429
    Congrats! :D

That's the exact some score that I obained.

I believe that the purpose of seemingly leaving information out of the sim "questions" (meaning the written part) is because the information can be located in the sim itself, you just need to know how to find it. This is a further test of your familiarity with the system and your resourcefulness. Just an observation...

Georgemc :)
    WGU BS: Business - Information Technology Management
    Start Date: 01 October 2012
    QFT1,PFIT in progress.
    TRANSFERRED/COMPLETED: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,QBT1,LUT1,QLC1,QMC1,QLT1,IWC1,INC1,INT1,BVC1,CLC1,MGC1, CWV1 BNC1, LIT1,LWC1,QAT1,WFV1,EST1,EGC1,EGT1,IWT1,MKC1,MKT1,RWT1,FNT1,FNC1, BDC1,TPV1 REQUIRED: