Where to start? (Microsoft)

I just passed my Net+ today and am starting to plan for next cert to put in my sights. I also have my A+. MCSA seems to be the goal to go for first. I am looking for what your opinion my best route to begin MS tests are. From what I have read my cert combo already counts as an elective. So what is next? Is it common to go for the 2k cert and then add the 2k3 upgrade for both? Or is it most of you that have both have had the 2k cert for some time?

Thanks for your help
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If I were you I would go for the 2003 and skip the 2000 unless it would be of some specific benefit to you. Start with 70-270 (or Vista for that matter), then 70-290. Good luck and congrats on the Net+!
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Yup, I agree with sprkymrk on this one, don't go into the 2000 tests at all. Windows 2000 has been retired, and mainstream support for the product is over. The tests, themselves, will be retired in March of 2008, as will the upgrade exams 70-292 and 70-296. The only avenue of study at that point will be the 2003 track and the MCITP track on Longhorn, if you're looking at systems administration. At this point, you'd be better off going into the 70-290 exam, or heading towards the XP (70-270) or Vista (70-620) exams. The 2003 track is going to be viable for quite some time, and both MCSA's and MCSE's on 2003 are in high demand to administrate both Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 networks.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    That is what I thought until I read about the upgrade. I wasn't sure if 2k was the popular route since 1 or 2 more tests you earned one extra cert.
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well the longhorn exams are supposedly going to be out (or at least announced) in June. However, They're saying 2003 will be the dominate platform for the next 5 years or so, so you will probably benefit from starting with 2003. Plus, Longhorn will build on 2003, so it's not like that information will just go to waste. It really depends on your situation and what your goals are.

You could totally skip XP and 2003 and just go right to Vista/Longhorn. Maybe you've got a connection with a cutting edge company that's going to be on those platforms immediately. Like I said, it really depends on your situation. I know people who are still going for their 2000 certs because that's the environment they work in.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Skip 2000.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • tibultibul Member Posts: 240
    I would personally go for the 2003 certs at the moment, i dont think most employers have even heard of the new vista/longhorn ones yet MCITP etc, put it this way i have yet to see one job description that requires MCITP they are still saying MCSA/MCSE.
    Studying 70-292.
    Aiming for MCSA: Security and 2003 upgrade.
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Skip 2000 unless like me it is going to be a benefit to you having it. For me, I use it everyday because my office is on a 2000 Domain. I will be taking the upgrade exams for my own benefit and to achieve my own personal goals and in case we ever do go to a 2003 domain at my place of work.

Hope that helps