Options

Network Issues

QuestionTimeQuestionTime Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi There:

I was having a Dlinkwired router (Model No#: EBR-2310). When I was downloading through Bit Torrent, my roomate got lagging issue during the time he was playing World of Warcraft when I am downloading stuff. I've confirmed I put my roomate's IP address into DMZ to reduce the traffic and confirmed there is no port forwarding and any of filtering setting on my router

We both got WinXP reinstallation, however, the issue still seems not resolving. However, when I stop downloading stuff his connections seems to be OK.

I truly understood Bit Torrent is P2P network connection and you are downloading and uploading at the same time. That make sense it took lots of bandwidth

I checked on www.linksys.com and found out that OGV200 Network Optimizer for Gaming and VoIP might be able to resolve this issue -
The Network Optimizer for Gaming and VoIP from Linksys streamlines your home network for next-generation Internet applications. By applying various Quality of Service (QoS) techniques to your network traffic, the Network Optimizer makes sure time-sensitive applications like online gaming and VoIP calls run smoothly.

I am just wondering, is there any way I can resolve this connection gets conjunction issue without buying extra equipment (Software Fix / Configuration fix) ?

2nd, if I really buy that linksys OGV200 Network Optimize, do you think its going to make some difference ? Basically is that going to give the performance as expected ?

Please reply me if you have any idea or better idea.

Thank you.

QuestionTime.
The better a man is , the more mistakes he will make . Peter Drucker!

Comments

• Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    If your using the bandwidth for torrents it will be laggy for everything else.

You could throttle the downloads or upgrade the line, some network optimsers work a bit but with broadband your only going to get what your ISP provides regardless.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    hhisgetthhisgett Member Posts: 181
    If you utilize uTorrent or Azureus, you can set you download speed within the programs to provide the necessary bandwidth for WOW.
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    or just tell your roommate that your **** and pirated software, movies, and music is much more important than his WoW. icon_lol.gif
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Upload/Download bandwidth isn't the only issue. You need to check the number of connections your client attempts to maintain. Azureus defaults to something high such as 200, and I've found that simply dropping the number of connections to 20 or 40 helps out. This might slow your transfer speeds if you set it too low and can't make enough connections, but unless you have numerous downloads going simultaneously, 20-40 should be more than enough.

However, if you are burning all your bandwidth, that will choke his game play as well and you will have to throttle your bandwidth as mentioned above.

I'm too lazy to google your router model, but I have the dlink gaming router. This allows you to prioritize traffic, which I use to prioritize my Halo 2 traffic over my wife's WoW traffic. Shh...