Options

Power Supply or Motherboard problem

jetdynamicsjetdynamics Member Posts: 129
I need some good advice for the experience Techie guys here. Let me state the problem im getting right now

Computer Specs: DELL GX110 , P3, 256Mb Ram, Video Card built in w/ motherboard

Problem: Computer wont power up

Visual Inspection: Small Green Light on the motherboard is lit up

Process that I already try to fix the problem:

Remove 200W power supply test with multimeter , Using this technique http://www.duxcw.com/faq/ps/ps4.htm but it still not working

Next I order a power supply with the same specs and still not working tried also same test above.

I also try to remove pheriperals one at a time and still not work , I even remove CPU and put it back but still didnt power up

I just notice is that I did try to test other type power supply using above technique and surely it works but with the power supply like this is not working, I just noticed that this is a unique power supply coz it has a 6 pin connector to the motherboard beside the 20pin connector and not sure if the procedure I did would really work on this.

Now Im guessing that I might have already a bad motherboard but still I want to make sure that the power supply is not bad.

Any suggestion that I would try next? I already order the motherboard but still want to make sure both power supply is good since its not working on the test I tried above.

Comments

• Options
    Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have seen several Dell PCs behave like this. A lot of times it can be resolved by resetting the BIOS via removing the RTC battery for a few seconds.

Try that and post back.
  • Options
    hhisgetthhisgett Member Posts: 181
    Seems like I have seen several problems like this in the field and it was the motherboard. I am not sure if it applies to the model Dell that you are troubleshooting, but if you look at the transistors on the motherboard surrounding the CPU, there will be some ooze leaking out of the tops of them. If that is the case, the motherboard needs to be replaced.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dell power supplies are proprietary - even replacing one with the exact same specs won't work unless it is also a Dell PS.

Does it give any beep codes or does it not even make it to the POST?

A bad power supply would be more likely, but I feel for you because it is hard to determine if it's a PS or MB when it won't even power on.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Thanks guys for the reply

I already did try to remove the RTC Battery and put it back but still no power, I can not even go to POST. The power supply I got is exactly the same brand I got it in Ebay it is a used power supply which is pulled out of a working system which is also DELL GX110.

Before this thing happen I just noticed in my Bios Screen on IDE that it is not detecting the 2nd hardrive but if I run a CD like BartPE its seeing my 2nd hard drive. Im thinking that could be my IDE connection on the motherboard is failing? and this could be also an indication of failing motherboard? I dont even hear any beep codes but the motherboard light small power light is illuminated.
  • Options
    I also did visually inspect the motherboard for any bubble capacitor and any leak but everything is look fine and normal. No unusual burn part on the motheboard.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,039 Admin
    Pull the RAM and see if you get any beep code complaining that it's missing. If no beeps, pull the CPU and try the same. If the mobo doesn't recognize missing RAM or CPU then the bootstrap firmware is likely fried by a line power surge or a failing PSU.

There is also the possibility that sensitive mobo components can be destroyed by prolonged exposure to AC line noise, such as produced by electrical motors, refrigerators compressors, etc. Was the PC connected to an AC line filter or UPS?
  • Options
    jfmcaninchjfmcaninch Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just experienced the same problem with an Asus board. I also tried to rule out a bad switch from the chassis by touching a screw driver to the power jumpers on the motherboard. Next, I bought another MB, PS and ram and used the old cpu and it wouldn't boot. Turns out in my case it was a bad CPU.
    Currently studying for 70-410 hoping to write June 2016 with end goal of MCSE:Server Infrastructure
  • Options
    Im gonna try tom. what JD said , Regarding the power connection of computer it was connected to APC Power Surge Arrest .
  • Options
    taktsoitaktsoi Member Posts: 224
    This is just my experience on Gx270. If it is not suitable, dont' blame on me... icon_wink.gif

I have experience on the gx270. most of the our "wont boot" problem is that the CPU is fried. No matter what you tried, it still gives you yellow led. When we tested the CPU, we found the culprit. On gx270, there are diagnostics LED in the back panel. Those leds give you a quick inspection. I am not so sure if there is any diagnostics led on gx110....

Try swapping a CPU and see...

just my 2 cents
    mean people SUCK !!! BACK OFF !!!
    The Next Stop is, MCSE 2003 and CCNA.
    Bachelors of Technology in 1 More Year.

-Working on CCENT. Thank you my love <3
  • Options
    jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    Check and reset the RAM and CPU first, then the Mobo......

the problem is only on that 3 module/parts
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    taktsoi wrote:
    I have experience on the gx270. most of the our "wont boot" problem is that the CPU is fried. No matter what you tried, it still gives you yellow led. When we tested the CPU, we found the culprit. On gx270, there are diagnostics LED in the back panel. Those leds give you a quick inspection. I am not so sure if there is any diagnostics led on gx110....

Unfortunately the GX110's don't have the diag lights on the back like newer Dells do. It is a pretty cool feature though.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Check the capacitors around the motherboard, sometimes they like to blow...

...let me know.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    I love the smell of blown electrolytic capacitors in the morning. It smells like...a trip to Fry's Electronics!
  • Options
    I did a visual inspection on the motherboard and all the capacitor looks normal no bubble, no leaks.

I also did power up the system without the RAM but it didnt power up and no beep also. The only thing I noticed is the AUX LED LIGHT ( Green Light ) is Illuminated is that also an indication that Power Supply is good? and I got a bad motherboard?
  • Options
    I did a visual inspection on the motherboard and all the capacitor looks normal no bubble, no leaks.

I also did power up the system without the RAM but it didnt power up and no beep also. The only thing I noticed is the AUX LED LIGHT ( Green Light ) is Illuminated is that also an indication that Power Supply is good? and I got a bad motherboard?
  • Options
    Look up the beep codes in the motherboard's manual. If the BIOS has beep codes for missing CPU or missing RAM, but the motherboard doesn't beep in those cases, you either have a bad PSU or a bad motherboard. You can try reflashing the BIOS with the latest version, but it would probably be better to email the manufacturer's support people and ask if they have any testing procedures you can perform for that specific motherboard. Let us know what they say.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote:
    I love the smell of blown electrolytic capacitors in the morning. It smells like...a trip to Fry's Electronics!
    That's the most delicious smell that a computer tech can have, mmmmm mmmmm!
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions, This forum indeed help me isolate the problem and hopefully help others who experience the same problem with there computers.

Now for the updates I finally got today the motherboard that I ordered online, Put the system together and finally the computer power up boot normaly yess!!! problem solve.

My conclusion:

Motherboard is the culprit

This is also a unique experience I got troubleshooting power supply because the procedure I always do to test power supply is not applicable to all especially to DELL Power Supply for GX110 because this Power Supply is unique in a way that it has a 6pin flat connector beside the 20pin connector to the motherboard , I even bought a power supply tester and when I test it give me an indication that I got "Bad Power Supply" But im still not sure and eventually ended up getting a motherboard. This is my last try to test the whole system and when I power up using the old power supply system works fine.
  • Options
    blackmage439blackmage439 Member Posts: 163
    I still suggest caution. This is coming from both personal experience and my recent re-reading of my A+ study material. :P

My friend had a computer with a hard drive that was going bad. At first he was thinking anything could be the problem, from viruses to his motherboard. Eventually he discovered that the power supply was causing read/write errors on the drive. I only hope that your PS tester is just giving you false readings. I would hate to have a brand new motherboard get fried! icon_lol.gif
    "Facts are meaningless. They can be used to prove anything!"
    - Homer Simpson