Options

Taking 70-294 on Friday

ipchainipchain Member Posts: 297
Howdy guys,

I'm taking 70-294 on Friday 04/20/07, and am looking for some input from those who have taken it recently.

From reading a couple of recent posts, it does not seem this particular exam is hard, but what particular topics seem to be heavily tested?

I'll be checking out the links icroyal posted over the course of the upcoming week, and I'll also be taking quite a few practice exams to find my weakest links.

For those that have passed this exam recently, how many questions did you have? How did you find this exam in comparison to some other exams you've taken? Any input would be greatly appreciated, as long as it does not break the NDA. Thanks!
Every day hurts, the last one kills.

Comments

• Options
    shamrocker98shamrocker98 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    First of all, I want to wish you luck with this test! Secondly, I'll offer my input as best as I can.

Without giving away too much, make sure you know how to do basic tasks using the 2K3 utilities, such as administering GPOs, Sites, and OUs to complete the simulations. I found the sims to be very straightforward. Set up test domain at home, if you haven't already, and just practice practice practice doing things.

There was no "one" topic that dominated the exam. I got a very well rounded set of questions. The questions involved OU organization, external trusts, certificates, site links, AD restoration, replication, functional levels, software deployment, GPOs.....pretty much everything on this page:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-294.mspx

There were approximately 44 questions, 3 or 4 simulations. What made this exam really difficult, in my opinion, were the questions themselves. I felt very confident with the material, but the questions are extremely long and complex. I made good use of the noteboards I was given. My suggestion is to look at the exhibits first, the read the questions backwards ("What are they asking me to do?"), then reread the question and draw some diagrams if that helps you keep track of the details. There was usually one or two answers that popped out as wrong, but then there were usually two that looked right. You have the really know the answer, because there might only be one or two words difference. Pace yourself and don't be afraid to use the full 3 hours. I did and am glad I took the time to review my answers. I changed several and I think I was right the second time.

Before I took the test, I made flash cards of about 30 command line and msc utilities for AD and learned the names and functions. I'm glad I did, because I was tested on it. Before I left for the test, I quickly ran through all of the major GUI utilities and reviewed the details like how to find the Operations Masters, things like that. Don't overlook a good meal before the test, plenty of sleep and water.

I hope this all helps! I know it's a lot of info, but it helped me pass! Good luck and let us know how you did! icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So how did you do?
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    ipchainipchain Member Posts: 297
    shamrocker98 -- Thanks for the very long, and informative reply. I enjoyed reading it, and it helped me a lot on the exam.
    So how did you do?

I did rather well, passed it with 936 even though I was really confident I had nailed it. From what I can recall I had about 42 questions, including 3 sims which were really straight forward, and I loved them.

Lots of exhibits and diagrams on this exam, as well as drap/drops. Make sure you know your AD design really well, for your ability will be tested heavily on this particular exam.

Off to 70-298 to finish off my MCSE. I have already started watching CBTnuggets, and most of the things seem like a review so far.

I'm sure I'll come across a different testing format, and that's what worries me the most, but we'll see.

Thanks for both of your replies, they are greatly appreciated! :D
    Every day hurts, the last one kills.
  • Options
    shamrocker98shamrocker98 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass!! I'm glad I helped even if in a small way. I, too am working for my 70-298 and have been really encouraged so far. I can finally see the horizon and this last test is motivating me a lot! icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats and good luck on the 70-298!
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks