Options

Windows Server 2003 SBS Offline Files Problem

ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□

Hi,

We have a couple of users with notebooks setup for synchronizing offline files on Windows Server 2003 SBS box. They work sometimes but other times the icon on the taskbar says they are offline even when they are logged in and directly connected to the Server.

Clearing the cache or deleting and reactivating offline files fixes the problem for a while but eventually the offline icon shows up again.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this and how can we get it working with more stability?

Any help ASAP would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks
I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Does this happen when they are on battery power instead of plugged into 120V AC? It may be the Power Settings are turning off the NIC to save battery power. Check the NIC settings in Network Connections, Properties, and then click the Configure button next to your network card, then finally go to the Power Management tab. Make sure the option to allow the computer to turn off the device to save power is not selected.

If that's not the problem, then maybe if you have some more information as to when/how often it happens we can look at other possibilities. icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Thanks for the response....

Well, as far as I know this is occurring whether or not using AC or battery power. What is actually happening is that the notebook IS staying connected to the network, shares can be accessed, etc. but the Offline Files icon comes on and says that they are no longer connected to the network. So, that should rule out the NIC turning off. By the way, I think they are going in wirelessly most of the time via the WAP, but the connection still remains good.

The other thing that occurs is that the folder that contains all the subfolders that are being synchronized up on the server or shared, it only allows you to see one or 2 subfolders when this occurs. When everything is working properly there are about 15 sub folders that are basically document folders for each of the users.

Each person has their own subfolder set to synchronize offline files but since it the folders are inside a share and everyone has full control, you normally can see all the folders. When this strange "offline" thing occurs it only let's you see one or two of the folders in there.

I know kinda convoluted explanation.
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Does it reconnect if you right-click the icon in the system tray and select "synchronize"? Sometimes you need to give it a little help to make it realize that it's online again.

I just made some files available offline, disabled my nic, made some changes, re-enabled my nic and played around a bit, but it still said I was offline. I just selected synchronize and all was well.
  • Options
    Yes, as far as I recall we have tried that and it still goes back to offline status. I am not at the site right now but I will try to get one of the users to try that once again.

This happens fairly often though. Offline files should not be that flakey, I would think!

Anybody? Would appreciate it..... icon_wink.gif