Options

Token Ring

markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
Miami#
Apr 16 04:54:40.616: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface TokenRing0/0, changed state to initializing
Miami#
Apr 16 04:54:41.978: %TR-3-OPENFAIL: Unit 0, open failed: lobe media test, function failure
Miami#
Apr 16 04:54:43.977: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface TokenRing0/0, changed state to down

Ok, so I got a router with a token ring port and even though I havent even seen it mentioned in my CCNA book I figured, well, why the hell not. So here's what I did to configure to0/0:

interface TokenRing0/0
description Miami Finance LAN
ip address 192.168.10.1 255.255.255.0
ring-speed 16

And the obvious no shut at the end. I don't have anything plugged into my to0/0 port. To put it simply...what the hell is going on with the line? icon_lol.gif

Those 3 messages keep coming up on my console. Obviously I've failed to do something but it's not in my book. Anyone see anything? Any token ring pimps out there? icon_wink.gif
"You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky

Comments

• Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    markzab wrote:
    Miami#
    Apr 16 04:54:40.616: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface TokenRing0/0, changed state to initializing
    Miami#
    Apr 16 04:54:41.978: %TR-3-OPENFAIL: Unit 0, open failed: lobe media test, function failure
    Miami#
    Apr 16 04:54:43.977: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface TokenRing0/0, changed state to down

Ok, so I got a router with a token ring port and even though I havent even seen it mentioned in my CCNA book I figured, well, why the hell not. So here's what I did to configure to0/0:

interface TokenRing0/0
    description Miami Finance LAN
    ip address 192.168.10.1 255.255.255.0
    ring-speed 16

And the obvious no shut at the end. I don't have anything plugged into my to0/0 port. To put it simply...what the hell is going on with the line? icon_lol.gif

Those 3 messages keep coming up on my console. Obviously I've failed to do something but it's not in my book. Anyone see anything? Any token ring pimps out there? icon_wink.gif

markzab,

Do you have a Token Ring Multistation Access Unit connected to the router's token ring port?

Source:
    1. Token Ring/IEEE 802.5 - http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/tokenrng.htm
  • Options
    No I don't and I think you got it there. I coppied and pasted the "openfail" line into google and found this via Cisco:

Error Message

%TR-3-OPENFAIL : Unit [dec], open failed: [chars], [chars]
    Explanation The Token Ring interface was unable to insert itself into the ring. This is an indication of a busy or broken ring. The first character string in this error message indicates the stage of initialization at which the error occurred, and the second describes the error.

Recommended Action Try to open the interface again. This generally can be accomplished by issuing the clear interface tokenring command. If the error message recurs, call your Cisco technical support representative for assistance.

Error Message

%TR-3-OPENFAIL2 : Unit [dec], open failed: check the lobe cable DB-9 connection
    Explanation The Token Ring interface was unable to insert itself into the ring, and the error code returned indicates a wiring problem.

Recommended Action Check the cable connecting the router to the Token Ring MAU, and try to open the interface again. This generally can be accomplished by issuing the clear interface tokenring command. If the message recurs, copy the error message exactly as it appears on the console or in the system log, and report it to your Cisco technical support representative.

Thanks Tech.
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You need to be connected to a Token Ring network.

If you issue the no keepalive command, that should stop the messages..... but it doesn't "trick" the interface into an "up state" so you don't really gain anything over just issuing the shutdown command on the interface.

Just like you can't do much switching with just one switch, you can't do much on Token Ring without the ring and the token.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Do you still see TR used in the field nowadays? Did Cisco phase this out of their testing? I specifically remember learning TR all those years ago but didn't see it mentioned in my new NA book. Aside from my personal curiosity with the technology, in regards to testing and study, would it be practical for me to get a MSAU and create a TR network? Or would you say pointless?
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    i've been through the entire CCNA 1&2 (INTRO/Cisco Press book) and i don't think i've seen token ring mentioned in more detail than it exsists... okay there may be some small info, but its not a huge amount.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    I have a feeling that the memories of learning about it might be coming from when I was studying my NP tests, not NA test, in the past.
  • Options
    yeah probably. but thanks for letting me know. i probably would of stressed this for hours when ever i get around to playing with my token ring routers.

• Options
    cambeicambei Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Token ring used to be on the NA a long with other things such as creating an IPX or AppleTalk network. The thing is that nearly all LANs are ethernets using a star topology and cat5 cabling nowadays.

One thing someone at work said to me was if you have two computers, token ring would give you very good transfer speeds. Not looked into this though.
  • Options
    unfortunently you have to buy token ring NICs and cables and such for that to work. fail. :-p