Options

A Few questions about 70-270 for people who already passed.

p3te844p3te844 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
First of all great site! A very reliable source for certifications. icon_cool.gif

Ok just a few questions for the MCP 70-270 people.

-On the microsoft site about MCP exams, they mention some updated stuff, like no more Adaptive testing for MCP exams. People who have taken it, were any of your tests adaptive. I mean, I know MS saids it on their site, I want to get the feedback back from the real MCP test takers. And also, partial credit for some questions in which you get 2 out 3 answers right? True?

-58 Questions I hear is whats on the test and only 50 are scored....Does anybody have an idea of how many you can get wrong and still pass with say at the 700 mark or so.

[edit by webmaster]Don't ask others what they had on their exams and thereby to violate the NDA they signed.[/edit]

I'm taken my test next Friday. I have been studying for months and feel confident enough to take it. Been getting around 38-39 questions right out of 50 on an average. So, I need to give it a shot.

Thanks!

-Pete-
A+,Network+, HP2-896

Comments

• Options
    rhelt100rhelt100 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    p3te844 wrote:
    First of all great site! A very reliable source for certifications. icon_cool.gif

Ok just a few questions for the MCP 70-270 people.

-On the microsoft site about MCP exams, they mention some updated stuff, like no more Adaptive testing for MCP exams. People who have taken it, were any of your tests adaptive. I mean, I know MS saids it on their site, I want to get the feedback back from the real MCP test takers. And also, partial credit for some questions in which you get 2 out 3 answers right? True?

-58 Questions I hear is whats on the test and only 50 are scored....Does anybody have an idea of how many you can get wrong and still pass with say at the 700 mark or so.

I don't think anybody really knows the answer to your first two questions except for microsoft. Judging from some of the scores I've seen, they' re definitely not weighted evenly and I personally don't think it was adaptive.
    p3te844 wrote:
    -Ok, out of all the people who have taken the MCP 70-270 and passed, does anybody know/remember with subjects were covered the most on the exam, NTFS/Share permissions, sercurity templates, etc. And If there is any one topic to recommend anybody to study the most, which one?

My test didn't really have any massed questions in a specific area. I would say study areas that you don't use on a day to day basis. For me, this was things like VPN/Dialup connections & language settings.
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Microsoft made an attempt at one point in the end of life cycle of the MCSE NT4 track to try adaptive exams. I know one in particular that I took NT4 Server in the Enterprise was definitely adaptive.

However, I think that they tabled the concept after that in favor of adding things like drag and drops, simulations, testlets etc.

That however is not to say that Microsoft won't ever use them again. They are fairly stressful but the good thing about them is if you really know your stuff it will be a much shorter exam! icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

rstainforthrstainforth Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As far as I could tell on mine they were randomly selected from an exam bank, rather than adaptive, and this is backed up on the other exams I have been studying for/taken. I had 58 questions in my exam, some fo them the "beta" type stuff which M$ are using to evaluate future exam content.

On anither note, though, this exam really threw me, and I got quite a poor score (700, only just passed, as opposed to 894 on my 290 exam) and I put this down to the disparity between the final exam and the "mock" stuff on the prep cd accompanying my M$ press book (FYI I only used the M$ press books for both of my exams). Has anybody else found this? It would be nice to see the cd's updated and presenting a more "realistic" question bank.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You can probably figure that a 700 out of 1000 is roughly 70% correct. I've heard that not all tests are exactly 1000 total (this might be for older exams or other vendors' exams though), and questions probably don't all carry the same weight. I'd think 70% would be a good general guideline, but I would allow for some variation. I make sure my practice test % is around 85-90 minimum before taking the tests.