Getting Started

dirtydeeds2447dirtydeeds2447 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I turned 18 a few months ago, and while I plan on starting college in August, I wanted to get started on an A+ Certification over the summer. But I don't know where to start. Could anyone sort of 'guide me' through what kind of materials I need/should use, and where I could get some hands-on experience as well (I only have an old computer, and I believe hands-on experience is strongly recommended for the exam?). What should I expect? How hard should I work if I plan on getting this done (or close to done) by the time I start school?

Or, for those who already have their certifications, how did you go about preparing for yours?

Thanks in advance.
wtf

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Congratulations on turning 18. ;

First place I'd recommend is visiting CompTIA's website and downloading a copy of their objectives.

Second, I'd consider Purchasing Mike Meyers All-in-One A+ book and possibly the Sybex book as a second source.

Get as much experience as you are able. Volunteer to shadow professionals (somewhat like and internship), or work sales in a retail computer shop and listen to the techs.

Post any questions on the forum...we'll help if we can so long as the question doesn't violate the NDS.

Good luck.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • dirtydeeds2447dirtydeeds2447 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How do I go about volunteering to shadow professionals? I don't know any... so if that's part of it I'm out of luck.
    wtf
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    How do I go about volunteering to shadow professionals? I don't know any... so if that's part of it I'm out of luck.

Well, if that's your attitude already...they you probably are out of 'luck'. icon_rolleyes.gif

Certainly at 18 you are either a senior or have recently graduated HS (if in the USA), have you never had a class in your tenure as a student that taught you how to 'interview'? No communications/speech classes? Nothing about selling cookies, lightbulbs, or trinkets to raise money for a field trip or sport team? In all 13+ years of school have you never intereviewed a person to find out more about them?

How do you 'shadow'? You start calling business professionals, knocking on doors, hanging out at business network meetings (such as BNI or even Toastmasters) and you meet people. Heck if you belong to a church you may find members of your church who can assist you by hooking you up with 'people'. Your school counselors are a great resource. And when you start, you'll probably not get a great response, but you keep trying until you convince someone to take a chance on you. They are not out anything...the aren't paying you...your observing. Maybe its 1 day, maybe a week, maybe the whole summer. Just depends on you....how well you sell yourself/skills....and the brave sole willing to take a chance on you.

Persistance!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?