Options

practicing "installation" with limited resources?

dtechiedtechie Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
more than likely asked, but couldnt find anything icon_sad.gif
anyway, im starting out on my MCSA track with 70-270. I'm currently in IT in my department, with no certs and I'm working on my 1st. I've been doing this work for years, so this is by no means new. However, I'm learning small details about XP I've never known (or really need to know). My problem- I really don't have a way to practice some things

Right now I have the MS "kit" book that I've been basically just studying/reading and doing as much as I can... since I have access to an AD in my job, I can do some of the admin type things (as long as I'm not applying these settings/changes/etc...mainly just looking), and I have VPC07 with XP Pro where I do the "experimental" type things on it, but I'm limited to workgroup type things in there since I don't have a copy of server to set up an AD (ontop of I dont have the knowledge of creating/setting up AD's yet).

Through the MS practice exams in that "kit", I've been around 70-80% range as most of the admin/setup things I don't have a problem with. Its the installation things that get me- whats the best way to practice/learn the installation procedures required for the 70-270?

I plan on getting in the 95+ range on all the practice exams before I attempt the 70-270, which I'm hoping to do in the next month or so.

Comments

• Options
    emmajoyceemmajoyce Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hey there,
    just a suggestion of what i did.
    I got an eval copy of server 2003 for free in one of my school books. Im sure if you look you can find these eval copies. I even heard you can get one from microsoft for free or shipping/handling.
    for my server, i went to the local home pc guy and asked him if he had any old computers for sale. I got the minimum requirements to run 2003. I beleive i paid 25 dollars. I didnt need a monitor. I used a kvm switch i got on clearance at walmart for 9.00
    So in all, i probably spent 35.00 plus what ever the price of the book that had the eval copy.
    lungsucker.jpg
  • Options
    i have a problem with a physical lab as ill be on the road with my job for the next few months and all i have is a notebook (and vpc07) to work with. ive heard that technet has virtual labs and whatnot to use, but i cant find anything
    even if its "recommended" labs that I can use that cost money, I'd like to know about them
    thanks
  • Options
    im looking around this "training kit" cd that came with the MS 70-270 book, and it doesnt seem to be too useful. it has a 300+ question practice test, but thats it. it has a "browse labs" tab, and it simply opens a folder with an inf and an evt. i feel stupid for asking the point of the inf, but the RebeccaSystem.evt? i couldnt find anything. i couldnt find anything in the book for how to use this "lab". if anyone can point me in a direction of using this pretty useless lab that MS seems to have dropped support for, please let me know