Options

Help on CCNA

maxdybandmaxdyband Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi I am discouraged icon_sad.gif , I took the CCNA and missed it by 2 f-ing points of course I would rather be passing by 20-30 points. My percentages were

Technology 85%
Troubleshooting 83%

The 2 categories I needed to work on are Implementation and Operation 73% and Planning and Designing 67%.

Planning and Designing is kicking my but icon_mad.gif , what can I can read and work on to help strengthen that. I have a nice lab that I can practice on. If it is a question on ACLs I get it but when it comes to reading and scenario and implementing I don’t get it. Your help and direction is greatly appreciated.

Also is anyone located in Richmond, VA area?? I have a nice home lab and would not mind sharing. I don’t know anyone here in this field to bounce stuff off of, “2 heads are better than one”. Please feel free to email me icon_cool.gif .
My lab consist of
2 2940s
1 1900
2 2600s
1 3600
2500 configed as a Frame Relay Switch
2500 Access Server (lazy didn’t want to have to keep changing the terminal cable)
PIX 501

Cheers
Ash

Comments

• Options
    mysql1988mysql1988 Member Posts: 115
    the advice I will give you is, if I were you, I would change that 1900 switch and get a 2950 or a 3550 switch. Cisco press have come out with a "CCNA mentor" It is a video tutorial of the advanced topics +labs. I used it and it helped me.
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    maxdyband wrote:
    Hi I am discouraged icon_sad.gif , I took the CCNA and missed it by 2 f-ing points of course I would rather be passing by 20-30 points. My percentages were

Technology 85%
    Troubleshooting 83%

The 2 categories I needed to work on are Implementation and Operation 73% and Planning and Designing 67%.

Planning and Designing is kicking my but icon_mad.gif , what can I can read and work on to help strengthen that. I have a nice lab that I can practice on. If it is a question on ACLs I get it but when it comes to reading and scenario and implementing I don’t get it. Your help and direction is greatly appreciated.

Also is anyone located in Richmond, VA area?? I have a nice home lab and would not mind sharing. I don’t know anyone here in this field to bounce stuff off of, “2 heads are better than one”. Please feel free to email me icon_cool.gif .
    My lab consist of
    2 2940s
    1 1900
    2 2600s
    1 3600
    2500 configed as a Frame Relay Switch
    2500 Access Server (lazy didn’t want to have to keep changing the terminal cable)
    PIX 501

Cheers
    Ash

maxdyband,

I too failed the 640-801 CCNA exam the first time I took it so I can relate to your discouragement. However, one of the first things I did was to look at the 640-801 CCNA exam outline and reworked it in a format that made sense to me.

Based on my experience and studies, I've found that the current 640-801 CCNA exam topics outline is a little "scrambled." So I've been reorganizing the 640-801 CCNA exam topics into one with more of a logical flow. Therefore, here's my current version of my study outline.
    • 640-801 CCNA outline reloaded
      [list=1:703ee1fcef]
    • Technology
      [list:703ee1fcef]
    • Describe network communications using layered models.
    • Describe the components of network devices.
    • Evaluate rules for packet control.
    • Evaluate the characteristics of routing protocols.
    • Evaluate TCP/IP communications process and its associated protocols.
    • Describe the Spanning Tree process.
    • Compare and contrast key characteristics of LAN environments.
    • Evaluate key characteristics of WANs.
    [*]Planning & Design
    • Design a simple internetwork using Cisco technology.
    • Develop an access list to meet user specifications.
    • Select an appropriate routing protocol based on user requirements.
    • Design an IP addressing scheme to meet design requirements.
    • Design a simple LAN using Cisco technology.
    • Choose WAN services to meet customer requirements.
    [*]Implementation & Operation
    • Perform an initial configuration on a router.
    • Manage system image and device configuration files.
    • Implement access lists.
    • Configure routing protocols given user requirements.
    • Configure IP addresses, subnet masks, and gateway addresses on routers and hosts.
    • Configure a router for additional administrative functionality.
    • Perform an initial configuration on a switch.
    • Configure a switch with VLANs and inter-switch communication.
    • Customize a switch configuration to meet specified network requirements.
    • Implement a LAN.
    • Implement simple WAN protocols.
    [*]Troubleshooting
    • Utilize the OSI model as a guide for systematic network troubleshooting.
    • Perform simple WAN troubleshooting.
    • Perform LAN and VLAN troubleshooting.
    • Troubleshooting IP addressing and host configuration.
    • Troubleshoot routing protocols.
    • Troubleshoot an access list.
    • Troubleshoot a device as part of a working network.
    [/list:u:703ee1fcef]
    [/list:o:703ee1fcef]

The reasoning for the reorganization of the 640-801 CCNA exam outline was:
    • You should understand the technology before you plan and design.
    • You should understand how to plan and design before you implement and operate.
    • You should understand how to implement and operate before you troubleshoot.
    • The Technology, Planning & Design, and Implementation & Operations sections have been realigned from OSI layer 7 to OSI layer 1.
    • The Troubleshooting section has been realigned from OSI Layer 1 towards OSI layer 7.

Based on the symptoms you've stated, you seem to understand OSI Layer 1 towards OSI Layer 7 or the decapsulation process better than OSI Layer 7 down to OSI Layer 1 or the encapsulation process. I hope the "reloaded" outline will help you as much it has helped me pass the 640-801 CCNA on my second try.

I hope this helps.

Source:
    1. 640-801 CCNA-Career Certifications & Paths - Cisco Systems - http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le...s/640-801.html
  • Options
    Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    no, don't get a 3550, you don't need it for ccna, 1 2950 is just fine, only 2 points?? wow, take it again, you will pass the second time around
    i herd u leik mudkips lol
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    GAH 2 points !!! that really sux max! I haven't known anyone get that close.

Your post is just pi$$ed Offishness. You know your gonna get this. It could just have been the questions on the day!!! Unless you did really well on the day and then you are in deep doodo icon_twisted.gif Your so close. that's whats annoying I geuss.

Go through Aquabat's post (nice post btw) and see where you can improve. The improvement will be to get into the 90s though rather than just get past the post.

Chin up mate..... Go get that [inset expletive here] and nail it to the wall! Annoying that the shine has ben taken off it for you BUT, this is only the first step remember..... What track are you on after this?? That's where the honey will come from. This will just help keep you driven and focussed.

Go get em tiger!
    Kam.
  • Options
    maxdybandmaxdyband Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi thank you for the encouragement and advice. I am feeling a lot better about retaking the cert.

tech-airman that “reloaded’ is some cool stuff you shared I really appreciate it. I am going to go through it thoroughly tonight. It makes sense so far.

There is something that obviously is not clicking with me. The ACLs are not registering that is for sure. Actually if I look at a question with it already written out, I can figure out what they are trying to do, no problems. Ask me to write one from scratch, can’t do it. Does anyone know of any labs that I could practice with different scenarios?

For now what would I need a 2950 for? My understanding of Switch technology is pretty good. I understand elections, STP, and VLANs. I do what one I will probably get one tonight from ebay there only like 250. That 1900 is ancient but I am glad I have it. I had an interview and they actually are still using the 1900. Unfortunately I did not get the job they told me that I did not have enough troubling shooting skills. Just out of curiosity what type of troubling shooting scenarios would you run into with switches?

What I used to study
    Sybex
    Train Signal CCNA Highly recommend made a lot of things click Chris Bryant is awesome about explaining things to you like you are a 2 year old which is what I like, LOL.
    I also am going through the “CCNA Mentor” like mysql1988 suggested.

Is there something else that I would benefit from reading? I just feel these did not go into enough detail or maybe I over looked something that would make more sense reading somewhere else.

I want to go the Security route. I am also reviewing the CISSP and CCNP. Any other certs I should be looking at OTHER than the CCIE security, LOL.

One day I would like to be able to come on here and help someone with a question but for now I am just an observer. Sorry for the long dry post. I am a serious newbie when it comes to Cisco and I will probably ask really dumb questions but I do not know anyone who is in this field here.

Cheers
    Ash