Options

Looking for some servers->

sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,

Our company is looking to move our virtual machines over to some new "cheap" servers.

Right now they are running on Desktops (PIII/256MB) of RAM.

We want to move them to a server with 512-1G of RAM etc. We will be running Fedora Core 6 or CentOS on them.

Anyone know of some good places to buy cheap servers that are reliable and supported. (We would like rack mounted)
Also if you can recommend some brands/servers that would be great!

Live in the US if that helps.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    Cheap+Brand+Rack+servers......

icon_confused.gif
    stonecold26.jpg
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    Well, "cheap" implies used, refurbished, or build-it-yourself. The "support" part implies a contract with an IT support outsourcing business in your area, and not necessarily with the same place that you buy the cheap servers from. For business-quality refubs, I recommend Dell's Outlet Store. Take a look at their prices and see if it's within your budget. If you still need to go cheaper, then have a look at places like The Used Computer Mall.
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dell has servers starting out at $399 and if you wanted to pay extra you could get extended support on them. Anyway just a thought.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    Thanks guys - I will check out Dell.

By "cheap" I mean we do not need anything to powerful. These are going to be running virtual machines.

I would say the most we would pay would be $1000 for each server.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Instead of getting a bunch of cheap crap, you could spend $5000 and get one single good server to run all of your virtual machines. Just a thought
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Hey Blarg

Yeah we don't really need to spend $5000 - I mean we are running this stuff on PIII's - we are just looking to do a small upgrade. Thanks for the suggestion!