Options

very interesting

third.timethird.time Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
this does sound very interesting. Webmaster, is this an area that you yourself plan to persue. I mean is it really a recognized Industry certification. If so do you know how long has this cert been available

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    third.time wrote:
    Webmaster, is this an area that you yourself plan to persue.
    Most definitely, started already. I'm trying to save up for (yeah I have to save for things that cost money ;)) the $175 to buy the voucher+book+practice exam package at www.cwne.com, but found three free chapters of the books in PDF so far (1 is at cwne.com the other 2 I found through google.com, I'll see if I can find the site again.) Also, because it is vendor-neutral, almost any book abuot wireless, RF basics, antennas, etc. are appropriate.
    I mean is it really a recognized Industry certification.
    I guess the answer to that lies in your other question:
    If so do you know how long has this cert been available
    Since Jan 2002. So I guess the entire industry will not 'recognize' the cert... yet. I'm quite sure it will, but that is just an educated guess based mostly on:
    - wireless is the future (in many cases it is present).
    - CompTIA (leader in neutral vendor certs) does not offer a wireless cert.
    - Cisco is not the only one in the wireless networking market (I mean if you want to make a carreer in wired networks you could go with 'just' Cisco certs and forget about 'vendor-neutrality')
    - The certification seems to have the required quality. It goes into detail, it is not too easy (like one might think of CompTIA exams), and it is rather complete (for as far as I can tell at this moment).

I got the date from certmag.com, they have a good article about the CWNP certs: www.certmag.com/issues/jul02/dept_specialtycert.cfm

I have two main reasons for getting CWNA certified:
    - saving me the time in the future (wireless will become part of every network related certifcation and I like to be overqualified before I write about it.)
    - it will help me prepare for these two, which I would like to persue somewhere in the next couple of years: www.cisco.com/en/US/learning/le3/le2/le41/le53/learning_certification_type_home.html
    and
    www.cisco.com/en/US/learning/le3/le2/le41/le52/learning_certification_type_home.html

I'm currently working on my CCNP and think the wireless certs will be a good addition. I consider TechExams.net my job, but my bank account thinks differently so I will need to get a job that I can do for 1 or 2 days per week and I'm hoping that will be implementing and designing wireless LANs... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    third.timethird.time Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm convinced, I already was but I wanted another point of view before I proceeded

thx
  • Options
    Special_k21Special_k21 Member Posts: 155
    third.time,

I am with you. When I heard about this certification I was definitely excited. I did have a co-worker tell me that is would be useless to obtain this cert. because the whole wireless industry will "be changing". I don't see it that way though. Sure it will change, but the basics fundamentals will remain the same. I haven't decided if im going to go for my MCSE or go for CWNA after my network+