Telephone question

ignign0ktignign0kt Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
This is kind of random but..
If pretty much all modern PSTN is digital... how much of my landline is analog?
I wouldn't think it's 100% digital from my phone to the office. So I'm just curious is analog being converted to digtal? And at what point?
I really know nothing about it, but it came up in a conversation and I was intrigued.

Comments

• telecomops101telecomops101 Member Posts: 128
    The only part of the PSTN that is digital is over the T1's in the phone company's network. In the Central Office of the phone company, the CODEC which is an analog to digital converter, converts the analog signal from your line to digital for transmission over the PSTN network.

The modem that is connected to your computer takes the digiatl signals from your PC and converts them to analog, for transmission over the telephone line. Once the signal enters the Central Office of the phone company is when the signal is converted to digital for transmisson over the PSTN network.

The reverse happens at the distance end. The CODEC on the other end at the phone companys Central Office will convert the digital signal into analog for transmisson to the distant end over the phone line. Once the analog signal gets to the modem the signal is converted back to digital for the PC to undertsand.

Hope this helps
    "Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence."
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ^That's good to note. Thanks for the explanation.

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • ignign0ktignign0kt Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Interesting. Thanks :D