some final questions about contradictions

Fluidly UnsureFluidly Unsure Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok, it's been over a month and I'm waiting for the paperwork from NH to come though. I kind of hope I can make it by the 30th and get that TechNet subscription MS is offering with their insurance.

Anyway after reading 3 books, practising on a VM, and taking as many on-line exams as possible I see some contradictions. Maybe my notes (2 binders worth) are a little confused. Could someone help me sort them out.

1) Disk space needed. Most sources say 1.5 gig but an old MS paper says .85 (?) gig and the trial CD on MS's book won't upgrade without 1.8 gig. Who is right?

2) All the information is rife with the idea that compression is not allowed on FAT32. What about DOUBLESPACE? Maybe they mean compression is not "natively" supported.

3) Does multiple processors require only a different HAL or does it also require driver settings?

4) When changing the HAL, does that require a fresh install, a repair, or just changing the HAL.DLL before the text phase of the setup? If it requires an install/repair then what are the owners of OEM computers to do?

5) One exam implied that passwords can be no more than 14 characters long. Since that has been my minimum for admin. accounts, I know this isn't true.

6) Another common idea is that cummulative privaleges are always overridden with a DENY, but one MSDN blog I read claims that isn't so. I think the gist was that a remote ALLOW can override a local DENY.

7) Will the licensing process change for multiple licenses in XP when Vista changes?

icon_cool.gif Will my MCP expire when XP does?

Comments

• rstainforthrstainforth Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

just off the top of my head:

FAT32 doesn't support volume compression, however files can still be compressed (winzip?)

when changing HALS that usually means a reinstall...it may be possible to do a "repair" install, but not guaranteed.

An explicit deny overrides an allow.

the new volume licensing for vista applies to vista only at the moment, due to the way vista is activated on the "new" style VLK.

Your MCP is valid for life, but the exam itself will eventually be phased out as the technology becomes "old" and no longer relevant, but I wouldn't worry too much, it'll be a while before that happens, and I'm sure you'll have more than 70-270 to your name by then :)
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    5) One exam implied that passwords can be no more than 14 characters long. Since that has been my minimum for admin. accounts, I know this isn't true.
    I think it is referring to the fact that legacy OS's do not support passwords over 14 characters. You will receive a warning when you change to a password longer than 14 characters, but it works just fine in W2K and higher.

6) Another common idea is that cummulative privaleges are always overridden with a DENY, but one MSDN blog I read claims that isn't so. I think the gist was that a remote ALLOW can override a local DENY.
    See my second post in this thread:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22717
    sprkymrk wrote:
    The thing to remember is that there is something referred to as the "Canonical Order of ACEs" which states that:

1. All explicit ACEs are placed in a group before any inherited ACEs.
    2. Within the group of explicit ACEs, access-denied ACEs are placed before access-allowed ACEs.
    3. Inherited ACEs are placed in the order in which they are inherited. ACEs inherited from the child object's parent come first, then ACEs inherited from the grandparent, and so on up the tree of objects.
    4. For each level of inherited ACEs, access-denied ACEs are placed before access-allowed ACEs.

So in some case an "allow" will take precedence over a deny - IF the allow is an explicit and the deny was inherited.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    1) Disk space needed. Most sources say 1.5 gig but an old MS paper says .85 (?) gig and the trial CD on MS's book won't upgrade without 1.8 gig. Who is right?

1.5gb > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/sysreqs.mspx

Upgrades require more because there is an existing OS/applications there.
    2) All the information is rife with the idea that compression is not allowed on FAT32. What about DOUBLESPACE? Maybe they mean compression is not "natively" supported.

They mean compressing the entire drive is not natively supported. However, they will talk about compressed folders on FAT/FAT32, which you intuitively think will not be supported, but "compressed folders" are really just what MS calls .zip files (and are thus supported). Be careful about that.
    3) Does multiple processors require only a different HAL or does it also require driver settings?

I don't think multiple processors require a different HAL. Hardware abstraction layers define how the OS interfaces with the CPU. If a HAL supports an Opteron, it should support 2 or 4 since it already knows how to interface with that CPU. There's probably a motherboard driver that's needed for the OS to recognize the second CPU, but you shouldn't need to configure that. Most multiple CPU questions deal with setting processor affinity and stuff like that, so I'd focus more on how to configure multiple CPUs from within the OS. The last dual CPU machine I had was a dual PIII 600, so I may be wrong about this.

4) When changing the HAL, does that require a fresh install, a repair, or just changing the HAL.DLL before the text phase of the setup? If it requires an install/repair then what are the owners of OEM computers to do?

I believe a repair installation will update the HAL; I don't think you can get by with less than that. HALs require pretty drastic changes. For example, you probably won't need a new HAL going from and Athlon XP 2500 to a 2600 unless there were some dramatic changes between the two. You will need a new one going from and Athlon to a P4. If you can get your hands on another true OEM installation CD that hasn't been modified by Dell or HP or whoever, you can probably use the same key to get it reinstalled.

Legacy OSes as noted above.

Yes, sprkymrk pwned me in that other post. Don't listen to me; I completely forgot about that.
    7) Will the licensing process change for multiple licenses in XP when Vista changes?

Could you clarify what you mean?
    icon_cool.gif Will my MCP expire when XP does?

No, but it will become worthless when XP does.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:

Yes, sprkymrk pwned me in that other post. Don't listen to me; I completely forgot about that.

It wasn't intended that way dynamik, but thanks for being a good sport. :)

@Fluidly Unsure

I hate to quote myself again, but also for information on HAL's check out this thread:
    icon_arrow.gifhttp://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21200

I posted some links to good information on HAL's, when/how they change, and how to repair/fix/upgrade. The short answer to your question is that yes, going from a single CPU to a dual CPU requires a different HAL, but you can do so by using the "Update Driver" feature in Device Manager.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Fluidly UnsureFluidly Unsure Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    snip...
    . wrote:

Could you clarify what you mean?

snip...

I may have confused myself with too much info.

I thought I read that MLP & OEM were to be soon phased-out and replaced with pooled (FPP?) in vista. I was wondering if that was an issue I needed to look further into. Both for the exam and for work in a larger environment than I am used to.

I've already been bit by old documents (password length) and "small print" (disk size needed) so I may have had a bite taken out of me again. Or I could have just been wrong.

Anyway thanks for all the information.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/vol/default.mspx

Looks like you're referring to the Volume Activation 2.0
  • Fluidly UnsureFluidly Unsure Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/vol/default.mspx

Looks like you're referring to the Volume Activation 2.0

That's it! I didn't know if I should study it in depth or not. It's a mute point now-- until an employer asks me about it.

Gotta go. I have to edit my profile from " MCP candidate" to "MCP" and make some phone calls.