Options

Cabling job Question(s)

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
So I was offered a two-month job working as part of a cabling team at a location close to my home. I think I'll definately take it, but I honestly haven't pulled or worked with cables in a while...I terminate ethernet cable all the time, but I can't remember much about terminating cable at a patch panel or one of those RJ45 jacks that the cable in the walls runs down to.

Any color-codes I need to follow or procedures I need to watch for?
For instance, I don't remember if your suppose to run cable below or above lights to avoid interference.

I have my own punch-down tool , cable cutters and crimper. Using cable testers isn't hard, and I know to label the cables on both ends.

KG

:edit: Oh, and I'm suppose to be running Cat 5 cable. Isn't that the same cable used in most offices and homes? It sounds like it has 4 wires, but I'm used to working with 8.
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680

Comments

• Options
    Big question...those RJ45/8P8C jacks in the walls, is there a certain color scheme they use? I don't remember what order to punch them in. I will most likely need to do this, so I may as well ask.

KG
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Most of the RJ-45 wall jacks I have seen have the color code on them. So if you follow that you should be ok.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    tibultibul Member Posts: 240
    KGhaleon wrote:
    So I was offered a two-month job working as part of a cabling team at a location close to my home. I think I'll definitely take it, but I honestly haven't pulled or worked with cables in a while...I terminate ethernet cable all the time, but I can't remember much about terminating cable at a patch panel or one of those RJ45 jacks that the cable in the walls runs down to.

Any color-codes I need to follow or procedures I need to watch for?
    For instance, I don't remember if your suppose to run cable below or above lights to avoid interference.

I have my own punch-down tool , cable cutters and crimper. Using cable testers isn't hard, and I know to label the cables on both ends.

KG

:edit: Oh, and I'm suppose to be running Cat 5 cable. Isn't that the same cable used in most offices and homes? It sounds like it has 4 wires, but I'm used to working with 8.

Most patch panels etc that i have worked with have been colour coded, we generally run the cable around lighting panels etc and never had problems with interference.

yeah most offices use Cat 5 or Cat 5e cabling we use 5e, although i suppose now Cat 6 is getting cheaper that more and more places will use that.
    Studying 70-292.
    Aiming for MCSA: Security and 2003 upgrade.
  • Options
    The cabling is going to be for a data center, so I'm not sure why they don't use 5e or something else. I'm not a cabling expert, but I thought cat5 was considered old(10/100BaseT). Maybe there's a low budget. I figure scalability is important.

KG
  • Options
    supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    Cat 3 and Cat 5/5E/6 UTP Termination

http://www.vdvworks.com/VHO/utpterm/

icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • Options