Options

Do's and Don't before an exam

p3te844p3te844 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm taking my 70-270 exam tomorrow. Anybody have any do's and don't before the exam. And any last minute preparation before tomorrow comes??

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Personally, I always relax the day before my exam and the day of the exam. If I don't know the material the day before the exam, then there's no point in taking the exam the next day.\

As for the actual exam, I would make sure you read every question at least twice. Try to look for words that might turn it into something like a double negative. Sometimes the questions love to trick you. If you are unsure of a question, don't waste too much time on it and save it for review so you can do the question last when you know how much time you have left.

Get a good nights sleep, eat a healthy breakfast (don't stuff yourself or your mind will be on your stomach), and try to relax.

Good luck on the exam and let us know how it goes!
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Do : Take an early night
    Dont : Poke badgers with spoons

Do : Have a light breakfast
    Dont : Eat a hot curry

Do : Chill out and do your best
    Dont : Panic, Mr Mannering!

Different things work for different people, just try to chill and not over do the cramming session today icon_wink.gif
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Be prepared for long 2-3 paragraph type questions. Read them carefully!

One thing I've noticed about Microsoft tests is that they give more information than you actually need... You have to pick out what is relevant to the main question. They also like to throw something in the question that will change the answer completely. You have to watch for certain buzz words or lack of buzz words.

Simple things like the word NOT or Default... Can change the entire meaning of the question.

Take your time, they give you plenty of time. If you are feeling rushed and are unsure of a question, don't spend too much time on it. Answer with your gut feeling and MARK the question so that after the exam if you still have time left you can review the question without it effecting your time on other questions.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Be prepared for long 2-3 paragraph type questions. Read them carefully!

One thing I've noticed about Microsoft tests is that they give more information than you actually need... You have to pick out what is relevant to the main question. They also like to throw something in the question that will change the answer completely. You have to watch for certain buzz words or lack of buzz words.

Simple things like the word NOT or Default... Can change the entire meaning of the question.

In addition to Sie's excellent advice about not poking badgers with spoons, this advice by megadeth is spot on. Good luck!
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    I realized after re-reading the post that you are asking about advice before sitting the exam....

In that case, as others have pointed out... Get a good nights sleep. For me, I have a hard time sleeping the night before the test... Obviously everyone is different... For me a glass or 2 of Red Wine is enough to calm my nerves and allow me to sleep, may not work or be appropriate for everyone though. (Almost forgot to mention the obvious... Don't overdo it on the alcohol if you do use this technique. Not that I have experience with this but my guess is that a hangover will not help your testing experience any.)

The day before, I only do a couple small practice tests to keep my mind current with the test while not over exhausting myself. Once again this varies person to person.

Make sure you are confident! Go into the testing center with the attitude that you are going to pass.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    p3te844p3te844 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    any ideas of how many you can get wrong and still pass. 58 questions and 50 are scored. 35/50 pass? 700. Or does partial credit come into play for some questions you get 2 out of 3 right?
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    I dont know the exact scoring but you shouldnt be planning to get any wrong :P
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not to mention the questions are weighted anyways. Just make sure you are prepared, go in with confidence, and pass.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    doom969doom969 Member Posts: 304
    Dont overdo the practice exams. If i do too much of those I tend to loose concentration when reading the questions. As said by the others, you need to read the questions carefully, so that can be bad.... Just my 2 cents. icon_wink.gif
    Doom969
    MCITP (EST - EA ) - MCT
    A+ - IBM - SBSS2K3 - CISCO_SMB
    CompTIA : A+
  • Options
    Fluidly UnsureFluidly Unsure Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took the test just yesterday and passed. I got 765 and 700 points were needed to pass. That probably will be different the next time the test is run. I've read that some of the questions are adaptive so I think few would get the exact same questions or the exact same scoring requirements.

I remember when my sister went to college to get her degree in nursing. She was really stressed when she got a C in a class. The instructor asked what they call someone with only 70 points. The answer: a CNA (Certified Nurse Assistant, not a Novell wad of paper).

Somebody mentioned the questions had more information than you needed. I noticed that also. In the study books the goal was clear while in the actual test I had to figure out what the goal was before I solved the problem. I also noticed it wasn't as bad as people claim. There weren't any really obscure questions that only someone with years of experience could answer. Nor were there any twisted sentence structures to throw you off.

The night before I took one practice exam, read over the summaries in the most detailed book, practiced my guitar, did some cryptograms, got to bed in time for a good nights sleep, and set the alarm for 1 hour earlier than I needed (the test was at 9am). That morning I had a good breakfast, scanned the summaries, and played the guitar. It worked!
  • Options
    I took the test just yesterday and passed. I got 765 and 700 points were needed to pass. That probably will be different the next time the test is run.

Congrats.... Just a little confused about "The next time the test is run".... Once you pass a MS exam I don't think you are allowed to take it again. Unless you mean the next person who takes the test will have different questions.
  • Options
    Fluidly UnsureFluidly Unsure Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took the test just yesterday and passed. I got 765 and 700 points were needed to pass. That probably will be different the next time the test is run.

Congrats.... Just a little confused about "The next time the test is run".... Once you pass a MS exam I don't think you are allowed to take it again. Unless you mean the next person who takes the test will have different questions.

Which is basically what I was saying.
    I've read that some of the questions are adaptive so I think few would get the exact same questions or the exact same scoring requirements.

It is definately not like A+ was when COMPTIA was playing with adaptive testing. In ten or fifteen minutes I was out and thought I had failed. But almost everybody I know who took A+ at that time had the same experience.

I did notice twice that I was asked the same question one after another. The were reworded of course. It made me wonder if they were testing another area based on my previous answers. Maybe these were just co-incidences that I'm trying too hard to interpret.
  • Options
    My understanding is that you get questions selected from a pool of questions randomly....

I'm sure there must still be some order to it though. I did not feel at all that any of the MS exams I've taken in the past year have been adaptive.... At least they were nothing like the A+ I took back in 2003 which was adaptive and like you said, very quick.