Options

OMFG, Digg is flipping out

nuglobenuglobe Member Posts: 190
Uh, if you haven't seen whats going on... flip over to digg.com It is a complete revolt from its users.
GenshiroGuide: My blog about things I found useful. Now with videos. :)

Comments

• Options
    The power of Web 2.0 is in full effect over at Digg, where users are revolting over Digg's decision to pull a story (that netted over 15,000 diggs) and reportedly boot a user for posting the HD-DVD AACS Processing Key number, which would allow someone to crack the copy protection on an HD-DVD. The front page (along with two and three) of Digg consists entirely of stories flaunting the number or criticizing Digg for its actions. Full-size screencap after the jump. Update: Fresh screencap, packed with more revolt, at 12:15 am.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,049 Admin
    It looks like they are getting slammed with posts and diggs by thousands of users. Truly flippy. I'll be interested to hear what Kevin and Alex have to say about this on the next Diggnation podcast.
  • Options
    Hmm...

drunk talk - "We're going down captain.. we are going down fast"
  • Options
    Even the HD-DVD page on Wikipedia has gotten slammed by so many people trying to add the key for (supposedly) decrypting HD-DVD that Wikipedia now has it locked from editing.

Here's Jay Adelson's blog entry explaining why they took down the code from Digg in the first place, and Kevin Rose explaining why Digg won't fight its users anymore.
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    digg is down.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Digital Revolt is fascinating icon_cool.gif
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    Digg is back up and back to normal it seems. Kevin Rose's blog entry about the "event" currently has over 16K diggs. It is all quite amazing.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It'll be interesting to see if this hits 30k diggs. It overtook the iPhone story this morning.

http://digg.com/news/popular/365days
  • Options
    drakhan2002drakhan2002 Member Posts: 111
    LOL, my best friend from High School is the Digg.com's Senior Linux Admin - I'll have to ping him and get the straight dope! Thanks for posting this, LOL.
    It's not the moments of pleasure, it's the hours of pursuit...
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    We hear you, and effective immediately we won’t delete stories or comments containing the code and will deal with whatever the consequences might be.

That's pretty admirable, if you ask me...
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's too bad things had to go that way though. That was really the only thing they could have done to salvage the situation.

Some users cried censorship because related stories were being taken down while others were saying HD-DVD bought them off because they had sponsored a few episodes of Diggnation in the past.

The fact was they were given a cease and desist order, and they did the legally responsible thing by removing the stories as suggested by their lawyers. This "revolt" sets a bad precedent. What if the community starts flooding Digg with Photoshop CS3 serial numbers or Half-life 2 source code? I know DRM feels like it infringes on our rights to do what we want with media we've bought, and that is likely why the community rallied behind this as opposed to other items which are clearly pure piracy.

But as I said, it just sets a bad precedent. As one commenter commented, it shows that Digg is not in control of its users. This could greatly hurt the future sale of Digg. Right now they're just running on VC money. They're making some from Google ads, but it's not covering their costs. I think they're really counting on someone else stepping in and acquiring them.

I don't believe AACS will go after them since the key is now so widely available, but this might have much more long-term consequences for Digg. If Digg goes, Diggnation goes, and Revision3 loses it's flagship show. And this all happened because of what? Because a few people were upset about being banned from Digg after they posted content that violated Digg's TOS? The lack of maturity and responsibility in the Digg community is astounding.

I'm hope I'm not coming off as a rambling Digg fanboy or anything. I just love technology, and I enjoy the things Digg/Revision3 are doing. I just don't feel like that was a battle worth fighting. Well actually, it probably is a battle worth fighting, but Digg shouldn't be the battle ground :D