Options

Many subnetting question on "The Beast"?

plettnerplettner Member Posts: 197
I've been browsing this particular forum and haven't seen any references to IP subnetting questions being encountered on the actual "Beast".

Is it that people just don't get many questions of this nature or is that people answered them with confidence they didn't think anything of them?

Most users in this forum says the Beast icon_twisted.gif uses mostly DNS, DHCP, and WSUS type questions to take down the unwary test-taker. I'm better at these questions than subentting. I do understand subnetting, I'm just not a master of it.

I plan to take on the Beast in June to take advantage of the Longhorn upgrades available.

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had about 3-5 questions on subnetting and dhcp. I got hit with mostly RRAS and DNS. I took the exam back when it tested you on SUS and only got a few questions on that. I also hear that on the more updated exam, that you will see quite a few WSUS questions. Good luck on the beast and let us know how it goes for you. Are there any specific things you do not understand on subnetting that we may be able to assist you with?
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    plettnerplettner Member Posts: 197
    icroyal wrote:
    I had about 3-5 questions on subnetting and dhcp. I got hit with mostly RRAS and DNS. I took the exam back when it tested you on SUS and only got a few questions on that. I also hear that on the more updated exam, that you will see quite a few WSUS questions. Good luck on the beast and let us know how it goes for you. Are there any specific things you do not understand on subnetting that we may be able to assist you with?

Thanks for the info. WSUS is not a problem for me so I should be OK. Admittedly, I've only started on the MS Press book and am up to DNS. I'll probably get some online CBT (like the nuggets everyone talks about).

For basic subnetting, I understand it but I am too lazy to do the maths invloved. I understand binary really well and do OK in the book's exercise questions. WhenI do the maths in my heads, I sometimes mess up (for example 2^5= 64 when it should 32). This then throws off my answers. It's more about when I do the calculations in my head that I mess it up.

I do have problems with variable length subnetting. I have to re-read the advanced subnetting sections again. icon_study.gif
  • Options
    tb0932tb0932 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I thought I knew subnetting but when I got the results of my test, that is the area I did worst in. So it was back to the drawing board for me...
    There were a ton of WSUS questions too and in my opinion, knowing SUS is not sufficient for many of them. They are quite detailed about where you go to do different things.