Options

help me please

solarsystemsolarsystem Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
hai
this is partha from united kingdom doing my master in computing.i am realy confused about which language to be concenrated more to get job because my course teaches generally about all technologies and about the development cycle of software

so i have decided to learn .net how much time it takes to learn .net and is that compulsory to do .net certification to get job in .net field because i don't have experience
so will the certification bring attention to the employers
if that is the case how to start with .net certification
please help me

thank you
regards

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You'll need to decide whether you want to go the VB route or the C# route. If you don't have any experience programming, you will probably find VB to be a bit easier. I'm fairly experienced with PHP and coming to .Net has been more involved experience that I was expecting. I'd say that you should expect to put a year or two into it before you become proficient. You can download free express editions for either VB or C# as well as their SQL server.

I really like the Wrox set of books. I'd start with "Beginning Visual Basic 2005"
    http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/WroxTitle/productCd-0764574019.html

or "Beginning Visual C# 2005"
    http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/WroxTitle/productCd-0764578472.html

depending on what you want to learn.

Also keep in mind that most resources will be written for .Net 2.0, and that IDEs and resources for .Net 3.0 will be available shortly.

The certs are good, but you should also actually have some software written. Do something creative and put it on download.com or something. They're going to want to see that you can actually write software, not just understand theory, etc.
  • Options
    solarsystemsolarsystem Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    If you have an interest in learning .NET, I'd say your best bet would be to go for C#. I was an avid VB fan for many years, but I found that C# tends to be in higher demand by a lot of employers. Not to mention the fact that, if you learn C# inside and out, it's not a huge jump to learn C, C++, Java, or any other C-based language. Considering that most .NET developing environments these days don't discriminate on what language you use, (as Visual Studio allows you to mix VB and C#,) you can also drop into environments where VB is used, and still write in C#.

Along with the Visual Studio Express Editions being available for download for free, you can also get a lot of training and tips from the Events & Webcasts and Microsoft Learning sites. If you're looking for something to get you off the ground in a hurry, check out this project on video game programming with C#. It's designed to teach you to write the language, even if you've never written in C# before, while creating a simple video game.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    bcairnsbcairns Member Posts: 280
    Slowhand wrote:
    If you have an interest in learning .NET, I'd say your best bet would be to go for C#. I was an avid VB fan for many years, but I found that C# tends to be in higher demand by a lot of employers. Not to mention the fact that, if you learn C# inside and out, it's not a huge jump to learn C, C++, Java, or any other C-based language. Considering that most .NET developing environments these days don't discriminate on what language you use, (as Visual Studio allows you to mix VB and C#,) you can also drop into environments where VB is used, and still write in C#.

I think that is regional - I learned VB a long long time ago and when .Net came out I started programming mostly in C# - it is rare that I want to touch VB - yet most of the jobs in this are are for VB programmers because us C# guys are harder to find.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Could very well be regional, bcairns. Where are you located?

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    I've never seen a trend where a particular geographical region favored a specific computer language. Instead, it's usually a specific industry or the type of programs that are being written which favor a specific language.

For example, VB became very popular because it was very easy to create GUIs and interface with databases. VB programmers were therefore commonly employed by any company looking to write database client applications, and are associated with database and financial businesses. C and C++ were stereotyped as server-side languages because, before the rise of Java, they were by far the most popular languages used to write server programs, especially on UNIX and Linux systems.

Take a look at the job Web sites and see what kind of applications need VB(.NET) programmers and which are looking for C#. You'll see the same type of trends.