Options

Help with Dynamips

gibby1801gibby1801 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Can anyone explain to me what in the world is a dynamip? I know it seems to be some sort of simulation software for routers and switches, but where do I get them, how do they work, what equipment do I need? Any help would be great!

Thanks,

Josh
Josh Gibson
CCNA

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    In the simplest case, Dynamips is a MIPs processor Emulator that lets you run Cisco IOS files -- and simulates the hardware -- so that you can run multiple emulated routers on a PC.

The "bigger" your PC, the more routers you can run.

You can also use multiple PCs to run the emulated routers on multiple PCs.

Dynagen is a "front-end" that makes Dynamips easier.

You can check out the Dynamips/Dynagen links in this thread.

The layer 2 functions of the simulated NM-16ESW hardware switching module still needs some work... so if you're just starting out with Cisco, you may want to get some real switches (the emulated Routers can talk to real hardware routers and switches).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    gibby1801gibby1801 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info. I will have to play around with the software soon.
    Josh Gibson
    CCNA
  • Options
    HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    Dynamips...Is an amazing piece of software...

Our entire telecom program uses this now for labs...We run the 7200 IOS with the NPE -400 processor and an IOS image that uses the MPLS stack...It's incredible..

Dynagen, the configuration editor for dynamips also now has a 'capture' command which shows real packet captures from an interface you specify...pretty neat!

If you have any questions...ASK! I am a dynamips pro!!
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    Deadmaster200Deadmaster200 Member Posts: 145
    Glad you asked!

I am trying to set the idlepc value, but when I type either "console R1" or "telnet R1", it starts up TeraTerm no problem, but then I cannot access the dynagen DOS window anymore. If I close TeraTerm, then I can get access to the dynagen DOS window again, but then I have close the telnet session, so I get "No idlepc values found" when I run the idlepc show command.

How can I fix this so I can still access the Dynagen DOS window as the Tutorial indicates I should be able to do?
  • Options
    netteasernetteaser Member Posts: 198
    Here is a great link that helped me with Dynamips.

www.internetworkexpert.com/resources/iosonpc.htm
  • Options
    CiscopimpenatorCiscopimpenator Inactive Imported Users Posts: 134
    I just started messing around with Dynamips/Dynagen this weekend....absolutely amazing!

For anyone doing the CCNA this solves all your problems(unless you have never seen a real IOS/router and then you might wonder how this compares....anybody that has ever used routers knows this emulator is great).

I'm just starting out with Dynamips but it seems like you almost do the whole CCIE lab except they don't have layer 3 switches. Is this correct?

-Ciscopimpenator
    -Ciscopimpenator
  • Options
    malwethmalweth Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    (RE: CCIE) Seems like you could with multiple computers and a few L3 switches...
    just wish the L3 switches were cheaper!! (Or emulateable).

Dynamips also uses a good deal of RAM & CPU. I'm thinking you could do a good CCIE lab with 3 cheap, modern PCs (maybe around $600 each) and some (3-4) L3 switches ($100-200 each). This isn't bad at around $2200 for a (guess) equivalent $12,000 set-up.

You really only lose L1... any other down sides?
    128  64  32  16  |   8   4   2   1
    128 192 224 240  | 248 252 254 255
     25  26  27  28  |  29  30  31  32

• Options
    $600 for a PC?

You could get them for $500 or less, especially since all you need is RAM and CPU. You can share the monitor and peripherals. Most likely all you need is 2 good PC's with loaded RAM.

L3 switches for $200? Where do I get those switches? I have been looking at Cisco 3550's and they are expensive for my budget.

Any other suggestions?

By the way Malweth I have looked at your CCIE blog, good stuff :)

-Ciscopimpenator
    -Ciscopimpenator
  • Options
    malwethmalweth Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□

I was over estimating a bit on the computers ($400 package, plus a bunch of extra RAM)... and only looked quick at some switch e-bays. Looking again, the problem does seem to be the switches :)

$800 for a 3550 - though tt seems you could get deals as low as $300 or so (and I've heard of the $100-200 ones people have gotten - which is probably where I took the estimate ;)).

Still - dirt cheap comparatively.
    I'm not quite at the point of doing many labs, but I'm lucky to have a really good work lab I can probably make use of! Otherwise just Dynagen for me. Can anyone convince my wife that I need another cheap computer? ;)
    128  64  32  16  |   8   4   2   1
    128 192 224 240  | 248 252 254 255
     25  26  27  28  |  29  30  31  32

• Options
    I will keep checking your blog and maybe down the road we can share some gear.
    I still need to get my CCNP and MCSE before I tackle the CCIE. I'm just making sure I build the right foundation along the way.

Good luck to you

-Ciscopimpenator
    -Ciscopimpenator