Options

Server 2003/SQL Server/Exchange/Sharepoint Licensing

dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
Hey Everyone,

My understanding of the "Per Seat" licensing option, is that once I buy a CAL for that user, he or she can access any Windows 2003 Server machine without requiring an additional CAL. I just spoke with a sales rep from the company I usually buy my software from, and he was under the impression that I needed to buy a CAL for each user, for each server. Is this just a case of a sales rep not being familiar with the difference between per server and per seat licensing, or is this actually true?

My other question, which is an extension of this, is how does licensing work with the other products I listed in the topic? The reason I ask is because as I implement each of those, I want to install a second copy of the software on another server and set it up as a cluster to prevent downtime in case a disk dies or something. I understand that I will have to purchase a second copy of the software, but would I need to purchase twice the licenses as well? My rep was under the impression that I would.

As a small business of about 23 people, this dramatic increase in licensing costs would really hurt and likely kill these projects. This doesn't seem like accurate information, but it would explain how MS makes its billions :D

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dynamik-

Here is my understanding. Per server, say you have 10 users, with 3 servers you want them to access. They need 30 CALS..one for each server, per user. Per seat, they would only need 10...going with the title "per..seat". I believe you were correct.

We users Server 03', and SQL 2000, Exchange, and Sharepoint, however I don't want to mislead you on the licensing there, since I honestly don't know how SQL's licensing works, let alone the others.

Good luck..

Mike