Interviews while being employed

mrhaun03mrhaun03 Posts: 359Member
I been at my current position for about a year now. I don't see much room for advancement here, so I'm kinda looking for another job. I don't spend a lot of time, however, but a lot of recruiters/companies been hittin me up for open positions. I'm interested in these positions but I can't keep taking off of work. What do you guys suggest? I do have some vacation time, which I've been using, but that aint gonna last forever.

Is it ok to ask for half a day off to interview? I like my current job, but I feel like I'll be Help Desk as long as I"m here.

Thanks in advance.
Working on Linux+

Comments

  • seraphusseraphus Posts: 307Member
    mrhaun03 wrote:
    Is it ok to ask for half a day off to interview? I like my current job, but I feel like I'll be Help Desk as long as I"m here.

    Thanks in advance.

    You could take the half a day, but I wouldn't specify another interview as the reason! icon_wink.gif

    Do you work on shifts? Could you trade with someone for the day?
    Could you work a Saturday in exchange for a week day off?
    Could you take an extended lunch?

    You could tell the recruiters that your work hours are static, and
    see if they could set a late day interview for you (this worked for me).
    Lab first, ask questions later
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Posts: 637Member
    When I was job hunting while employed, I specifically told the interested employer that I would need to have my interviews after my regular working hours. Employers will usually accomodate you if they really want you and you were honest about having a job currently. People many times leave out that they are currently employed because they think it will hurt their chances of getting the job, or the employer will think that they will leave just like they are leaving the current employer. Just have a reason why you are leaving and all should be good. The Hiring company should understand this request as they wouldn't want someone missing work due to interviewing for another job.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • KasorKasor Posts: 912Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't just go to interviews!! Did u find the position that you are looking for? Try to schedule them in one day (at least 3 interviews). I know it is difficult, but sometime you got do it. Also try to schedule after work if possible.

    The most important is to get a job that you are looking for.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • mrhaun03mrhaun03 Posts: 359Member
    famosbrown wrote:
    When I was job hunting while employed, I specifically told the interested employer that I would need to have my interviews after my regular working hours. Employers will usually accomodate you if they really want you and you were honest about having a job currently. People many times leave out that they are currently employed because they think it will hurt their chances of getting the job, or the employer will think that they will leave just like they are leaving the current employer. Just have a reason why you are leaving and all should be good. The Hiring company should understand this request as they wouldn't want someone missing work due to interviewing for another job.

    I always let them know I'm currently in a position. I was told it makes you more desirable if you currently got a job.
    Working on Linux+
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Posts: 637Member
    mrhaun03 wrote:
    famosbrown wrote:
    When I was job hunting while employed, I specifically told the interested employer that I would need to have my interviews after my regular working hours. Employers will usually accomodate you if they really want you and you were honest about having a job currently. People many times leave out that they are currently employed because they think it will hurt their chances of getting the job, or the employer will think that they will leave just like they are leaving the current employer. Just have a reason why you are leaving and all should be good. The Hiring company should understand this request as they wouldn't want someone missing work due to interviewing for another job.

    I always let them know I'm currently in a position. I was told it makes you more desirable if you currently got a job.


    And that is true for the most part. If you are telling them this, try to schedule your interviews outside of your working hours. Then you can save up your vacation or personal time you are using to go to the interviews so you can have a few days off before starting your new job :D .
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Posts: 968Member
    I don't know what it's like over in the US, but over here in the UK some employers/managers would actually prefer you telling them that you're going for an interview. Alot of the time the manager/employer would actually give you some time off to attend the interview during work hours. However this does depend on where you work and what the bosses are like.

    I'm saying this on experience, my last (and current) 3 employers let staff do this (provided staff didnt take advantage and of course it was dependant on work loads). And in return as I'm now a manager I would let my staff do it.

    Anyway, that's my two cents.

    -Ken
  • garv221garv221 Posts: 1,914Member
    mrhaun03 wrote:
    Is it ok to ask for half a day off to interview? I like my current job, but I feel like I'll be Help Desk as long as I"m here.
    Thanks in advance.

    Take the vacation time, say your golfing or fishing. As long as their no shift in your work habits or attitude you should be fine. I also think mentioning to your current employer your interviewing is flat out dumb unless you have a job on lock. Kind of like telling your g/f your cheating on her.
  • markzabmarkzab Posts: 619Member
    mrhaun03 wrote:
    famosbrown wrote:
    When I was job hunting while employed, I specifically told the interested employer that I would need to have my interviews after my regular working hours. Employers will usually accomodate you if they really want you and you were honest about having a job currently. People many times leave out that they are currently employed because they think it will hurt their chances of getting the job, or the employer will think that they will leave just like they are leaving the current employer. Just have a reason why you are leaving and all should be good. The Hiring company should understand this request as they wouldn't want someone missing work due to interviewing for another job.

    I always let them know I'm currently in a position. I was told it makes you more desirable if you currently got a job.

    Funny how this works with women as well. icon_wink.gif

    I would maybe take a sick day or something to that degree.
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • milliampmilliamp Posts: 135Member
    garv221 wrote:
    mrhaun03 wrote:
    Is it ok to ask for half a day off to interview? I like my current job, but I feel like I'll be Help Desk as long as I"m here.
    Thanks in advance.

    Take the vacation time, say your golfing or fishing. As long as their no shift in your work habits or attitude you should be fine. I also think mentioning to your current employer your interviewing is flat out dumb unless you have a job on lock. Kind of like telling your g/f your cheating on her.

    Depends on the circumstances. If you are really good in your current position most employers are not going to tap you on the shoulder and say "hey, how would you like more money?". There is nothing wrong with wanting to advance in your career (your boss did it), if you are valuable they may be willing to see what they can do to allow you to grow with their company rather than leave.

    Credentials on a resume are easy to spot, but good employees are hard to find. If you are worth it, letting them know you are interested in advancing may give them more time to see what they can do for you rather than just handing them 2 weeks notice.

    Also, this isn't a union. If your company was good to you, you have some obligation to ensure someone else can pick up your duties when you leave.
  • milliampmilliamp Posts: 135Member
    markzab wrote:
    mrhaun03 wrote:
    I always let them know I'm currently in a position. I was told it makes you more desirable if you currently got a job.

    Funny how this works with women as well. icon_wink.gif

    I was thinking the same thing when I read that :)

    I was in a bar once and this chick was all over me. She was grinding on me and about half ready to walk me out of the place. She asked me if I had a GF, and I said no (I didn't). She looks me up and down like she is trying to figure what is wrong with me and suddenly she is a different person.

    I have learned some interesting things about women over the years. Women enjoy the hunt of taking what isn't theirs. They don't like being cheated on because they don't like to lose.

    Also even without you telling them, many women can tell if you already have a GF. After experimenting with this I swear women leave something on you that other women are attracted to.
  • markzabmarkzab Posts: 619Member
    milliamp wrote:
    markzab wrote:
    mrhaun03 wrote:
    I always let them know I'm currently in a position. I was told it makes you more desirable if you currently got a job.

    Funny how this works with women as well. icon_wink.gif

    I was thinking the same thing when I read that :)

    I was in a bar once and this chick was all over me. She was grinding on me and about half ready to walk me out of the place. She asked me if I had a GF, and I said no (I didn't). She looks me up and down like she is trying to figure what is wrong with me and suddenly she is a different person.

    I have learned some interesting things about women over the years. Women enjoy the hunt of taking what isn't theirs. They don't like being cheated on because they don't like to lose.

    Also even without you telling them, many women can tell if you already have a GF. After experimenting with this I swear women leave something on you that other women are attracted to.

    Yeah, in my case it isn't hard to spot my tell. Damn wedding rings. icon_lol.gif
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • IT_AdminIT_Admin Posts: 158Member
    With my job, I have it pretty easy, I just say that I am not coming in.

    I wouldnt tell your boss anything, the less they know the better. I would check to see if you have any personal days that you may be able to use instead of vacation days.
    Next victim: 70-351

    On my way to MCSE 2K3: Security
  • mrhaun03mrhaun03 Posts: 359Member
    markzab wrote:
    Funny how this works with women as well. icon_wink.gif

    Too true. I always let them know I'm taken as well :D
    Working on Linux+
  • garv221garv221 Posts: 1,914Member
    Before you tell your boss you are going to an interview...

    You got to ask yourself if you are indespinsable...

    If you are... then ask youself, can you find another job <likr fer sure> faster than your boss can replace you...

    You better pray you are right...

    Very true, because soon as you mention you are looking, you are gone.
  • Gabe7055Gabe7055 Posts: 158Member
    Okay here is one for you all than:

    I took my current job two months ago and after the first week I realized I made a very bad decision. The pay is better than my old job; the work is more rewarding than my old job, but OMG!! the company has some serious problems. It was all stuff I wouldn't have known about in till I got in here.

    Anyway because I have only been here two months my leave time has not kicked in yet. I am looking constantly for away to get out of here but I am afraid to just quit because who knows when I will find a new job. So in my case do I tell my boss I don't want to stay and I need to take off early to go to an interview? Do I try to ask my interviewers to interview me after work? Or do I just tell my boss I need to just leave early for a "doctor's visit" and I will make the time up later?

    For anyone that is interviewing with leave, I would say just take the leave to go to your interviews and don't tell your boss your looking in less you have a really great and honest relationship with your boss. However saying that I have no idea what to do in my case.
  • SrAtechieSrAtechie Posts: 150Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    That's tough Gabe. I know a guy who was hired on the tail end of my previous contract and was promised by the company that they were going to win the re-bid, hands down. He signed on, and suddenly, that contract went into a monthly renewal process as there were "problems" with the contract renewal process. That company let me go and I moved on, but when I left, he started looking as well because it kinda looked funny that they'd let a few people go after they hired him on. Anyway, since he was still new, he told our boss that he needed time off for family things and had forgot to mention them in the excitement of being hired for a new job. So he asked for a day here and a day there to take care of those things and was granted unpaid time off to do so. I don't know if that'll work for you since you've been there for two months but I would think it wouldn't hurt to try and ask for unpaid time off if it wasn't a frequent event.
    Working on: Linux+, CCNP:Switch
Sign In or Register to comment.