Networking Basics for beginner books.

DingdongbubbleDingdongbubble Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone!

I posted earlier trying to find out whether to go for the CCNA or Net+ as a total beginner. I couldnt decide and someone suggested that I read a networking basics book and then go for a CCNA. This appealed to me because I wanted to concentrate on Networking only for the time being and advance as quickly as possible. N+ is said to have old info and goes off the track sometimes so I wanted to skip it and go for the more prestigious and future friendly CCNA. I got myself some books. I have:
Networking for Dummies 7th Edition
CCNA for Dummies
CCNA study Guide 5th Edition by Todd Lammle

I also have Cisco Networking Academy Program CCNA 1-4.

Now what would you recommend me to start with?

Again, I am a total beginner to 'serious' networking.

Thank You

Comments

• supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    I personally think you are making a mistake by skipping the fundamentals and going for a vendor specific cert first but, hey, that's just my opinion.

Good luck with that. icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    I think you'll be alright. a lot of the basics are covered in CCNA 1 (the first class in the networking academy). I was bored through most of the first networking academy class. it was almost exactly the same as my network+ class, only less detailed and at some point we started talking cisco.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • DingdongbubbleDingdongbubble Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You are right, thats what I want to do. I want to study the fundementals of Neting first and then go for a proper CCNA in the summer.

Can you tell me what to do?
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I personally think you are making a mistake by skipping the fundamentals and going for a vendor specific cert first but, hey, that's just my opinion.

Good luck with that. icon_cool.gif

+1

it would be different if you already had any networking experience already. But from the looks of your post, youre relatively new to networking. Honestly, Id go with Net+ first based on that. I tried to take a Cisco course as my first networking class. I had zero experience or knowledge other than the lights on my MODEM blink when I use the internet icon_lol.gif . I ended up even more confused than before and dropped the class. After moving on to Net+ courses, I really started to comprehend the subject matter, and aced the class.

Not so sure on Cisco certs, but I know that other certifications (Microsoft, for example) use comp tia certs like net+ as an elective for the "upper level" certs. You can put your certs towards other ones, you cant beat that!

Net+ was updated in 2005. I recently took the exam about a week ago, and I didnt see too much legacy technology/protocol questions in there. It is what it is; an overview of networking in its entirety, with a few specifics here and there.

oh and another word of advice, IF you do take courses or study, DO NOT procrastinate!!! Go take your exam right after the course or when you feel youve studied enough. Ive made that mistake more than once, and I regret it.

either way, Good luck with your certs and career!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    i agree with the last post - only pick up a network+ book, but unless you've already got a nice job and are making good money, i'd save the what, $325 for network+? learn the material, move on to CCNA.

heck, CCNA 3&4 has a network+ section, i believe.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    i agree with the last post - only pick up a network+ book, but unless you've already got a nice job and are making good money, i'd save the what, $325 for network+? learn the material, move on to CCNA.

heck, CCNA 3&4 has a network+ section, i believe.

i think I paid $250 USD for my exam...still a hefty chunk of change! icon_eek.gif

I agree with Darthn3ss, stick with a book on net+. You will learn the material MUCH faster than a course at school or something.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security