Options

CCNP track or MCSE track now?

kicker22kicker22 Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
Ok. I need input here..

I am done with CCNA, and I would love to go for CCNP.. but then maybe the reality is asking for something else...

here is my brief story, I am going to graduate from my college with CIS degree in December 2004, and so far I have CCNA. I would like to go for CCNP, but then maybe employers are seeking for MCSE more than CCNP.. I dont know if that is true..

but what would you recommend for me to go for first? I mean, in either way I am going to get them first..and its all matter of time...

let me know what you think..

thanks

kicker

Comments

• Options
    GhentGhent Member Posts: 310
    Everything I've seen in the job market right now is Cisco. MCSE is nice, but a company only needs 1 or 2 net admins, where as network engineers are in very high demand right now. Also CCNP is only 1 or 2 exams instead of 7 for MCSE, so you can knock it out quicker.
    Prais'd be the fathomless universe, for life and joy, and for objects and knowledge curious.' Whalt Whitman
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    CCNP is actually four different exams and is generally considered more difficult, but also better paying. Which one you want to achieve depends on what you want to do: building/troubleshooting networks or administering/building/troubleshooting servers.
    so you can knock it out quicker
    I disagree with that, CCNP takes more time, more investement.
  • Options
    kicker22kicker22 Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    well,
    for sure i need to become mcse certified one day..and that day should be soon...but then, since I am about to graduate, which one is more marketable and more effective when I go to career affair?
    I only have about 12 months to do something to be more marketable.
    I do have experience with windows 2000 server, AD and such... and I think it will be way easier for me to pass windows... but being challenged is not a problem for me..

if you think that CCNP is better off for me right now..then let me know..
    though, I dont have that much of experience to back up myself..

but with mcse, I do have experience that I can back it up with...

but I am still confused... and yes I am more towards network designing and such.. and yes..CCNP is my main track..and yes my goal is to become CCIE and thats what I want my career to be on..

but then I need a job, and which one will it help?

HELP! :)

thanks,

kicker
  • Options
    LexxdymondzLexxdymondz Member Posts: 356
    I would say that if you can put that you have "real world experience" on your resume and an MCSE, that might be more marketable than a CCNP with no "real world experience".
  • Options
    techman-aka-Formattechman-aka-Format Inactive Imported Users Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I say go for youre CCNP. you'll get way more job offers I think with a CCNP than an MCSE. CCNP is more valuable. It is hard but worth it. and after completing youre CCNA it is the logical next step to do CCNP. I am taking CCNP right now Im almost done with semester 5. and it is really interesting. if you want to design and build networks, and be a wan guy than i think CCNP is the way to go.
    information belongs to the public! hack the planet!