Options

CCNA vs. Network+

orfireeagleorfireeagle Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,
I just got my A+ certification done, and now I am torn between the CCNA or the Network+. I am currently taking a WAN class that is basically all cisco routers and switches and I have talked to classmates of mine. The majority says to do the CCNA, but I just not too sure if that is what I want to do or not. I just want some feedback on which one I should work on first.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
    Hi all,
    I just got my A+ certification done, and now I am torn between the CCNA or the Network+. I am currently taking a WAN class that is basically all cisco routers and switches and I have talked to classmates of mine. The majority says to do the CCNA, but I just not too sure if that is what I want to do or not. I just want some feedback on which one I should work on first.

Thanks

Well what is it that you want to do?
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Network+ will get you the basic Networking concepts and is a good stepping stone to the CCNA.

The CCNA will get you more experience with configuring routers ect.... And is typically a more valuable cert to have.

If you feel comfortable configuring Cisco Equipment and know basic networking concepts then the CCNA might be the right track for you.
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    I would personally suggest taking the N+ first. This test gives you in depth information about the OSI Layers, which are used all the time with the Cisco exam. I have always believed you need to start from the ground and work your way up.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you don't mind spending the money, get the Network+ first. A lot of the material overlaps with the CCNA INTRO stuff, so it also helps you along on the path to CCNA.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    orfireeagleorfireeagle Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the info, and as for what I am working towards is a bachelor degree in Information System Security. I am the current treasurer of the first student charter of the ISSAhttp://www.issa.org/ in the world, and we are trying to help other schools get started. I have talked to the current president and he recommended just going for the CCNA, but I just didn't feel like I was ready for that yet. Thanks again for all the input.