Options

What Remote Desktop tool do you use?

TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
We decided to go with a product called NetManager. I really like the security features.

You have a user password, admin password, site key password, and then you can integrate a keyfob system with it.

Citrix Go To Assist was our other choice, but since NetManager has had rave reviews we decided to go with them instead.

Let me know what you use, and why.

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I use the Windows RDP. I have no choice, that's what I'm given to use. Not sure if the admins are looking at anything else.....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I use RDP for windows and xwinlogon for linux. The latter is only for our network at work, not for outside linux servers. I also use xwinlogon at home for my centOS box web server.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    RDP on local LAN. RDP over IPSec VPN if remote. Secure VNC for Linux.
    Reason=Free icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    sprkymrk wrote:

Free is good. Secure and free, even better. I'm in the same boat, sprkymrk, I use the free tools that come with the OS'es, save for SecureCRT, which was provided to me by my work in order to manage our routers and switches, along with scripted logins to our FreeBSD boxes that run our DNS servers. Still, I wouldn't lay down money on tools that you can get for free, when they're so readily available.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    opers13opers13 Member Posts: 100
    we use DameWare
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sprkymrk wrote:

I do exactly this and sometimes use Dameware. If the customer wants a web-based solution, then LogMeIn is used.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    Gabe7055Gabe7055 Member Posts: 158
    I use RDP as well. It's free, it comes preinstalled, and it works like it is suppose too.

I loathe Dameware. I could be using it wrong I admit but I find it the slowest and most annoying software I have ever used.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,041 Admin
    I use UltraVNC when I have a choice, but most places prefer RDP over a VPN.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yep RDP is what we use as well...
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My company uses dameware

I like visionapp... Although they are all glorified RDP tools.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    Mainly RDP, sometimes VNC as well
  • Options
    JdotQJdotQ Member Posts: 230
    theseman wrote:
    Mainly RDP, sometimes VNC as well
    Ditto
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For admin work it's RDP, with a Windows Client/Server IPSec policy over the top for the really sensitive stuff (I know RDP is encrypted but IPSec is less prone to Man in the middle and for my security server it's a little extra peace of mind). UltraVNC for legacy clients. We're about to rollout Netmanager too mainly as we purchased it as part of a bundle with the vendor's inventory software but also as we have a lot (read: way too many) legacy clients also, and having one remote console to deal with them all will help.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Use RDP, and an application named Remote Administrator(radmin) that my company uses it's much like VNC just a few functionality differences from what I've seen.
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□