URGENT HELP !!!!!! PLZ HELP ME

cliffjagcliffjag Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi people

I have a problem.

I am running backup exec and using hp storage work tape drive 40/80. Since monday when you insert a tape it spits out the tape. I cleaned the tape drive twice , thrice etc, but it keep spitting out the tape that i have put in the tape drive. I recently used new tape;s but it keeps spitting out. About 5 hours ago i inserted a tape, and quess what it didnt spit out. I erased the tape and and did inventory. everything worked good, but as soon the backup begin, it was backing up and it didn;t completed and spitted the tape out.
I wonder what the problem could be because at first it was spitting out and now it didn't spit, and the backup failed.

Is it hardware or software problem. Three years ago i heard they had another tape drive from the same brand and it that to ( spitting out the tape ). After buying this one it was working good again. But now two years further it started again with the same problem

Plz help me

Thanx in advance
Alway try,never give up to easy.

Ok

Deal ,

Comments

• NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    I have had the problem (or something very similar), the best thing to do is to power down (turn off) your server for about 30 sec, then start it back up again. If that doesn't work replace your tape drive. I had that problem on one of our Dell server's, while I was waiting for a replacement drive, I had to keep on powering down the server, etc, then the backup drive would start to work ok for a few days/weeks before it started to spit the tape out again. In the end I just replaced the drive, for the last month I haven't had any problem (cross your fingers).

-ken
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What error messages are you getting in Backup Exec?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • cliffjagcliffjag Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    so i don't know precisely what the error is, but backup exec says failed. Had anybody else got this problem. I don;t know but when you put a tape into a tape drive it may not spit out. I don;t think that it is backup exec that is giving the problem because the schedule were 2 or 3 hours further before backup.

I don't know but maybe ninjaboy may be right, because you had this problem also. I see alot of people are having these problems but they don't seem to know if it is hardware or software based.
    Alway try,never give up to easy.

Ok

Deal ,
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The backup job is probably bigger than the tape can hold, and the additional tapes you are trying are probably in an overwrite protection period.

Read the Backup Exec logs, they are quite enlightening.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...