Options

Pc problems

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi there problemtatic pc at work

Firstly I was told to replace the machine as user was experiencing unresponsive loading times when using Outlook

Also XP'S start menu would disapeer and the machine would grind to a halt also when I try to shut down the machine nothing happens.

The connection to the exchange server will randomly drop.

( have tried 2 computers same problem)

I firstly created a test profile in the Active directory to see if the problems reoccured and to eliminate if the user's profile was the fault.

The result generates the same problem.

( Outlook becoming unresponsive even after clean installtion)

So then I built a replacement machine the hardware is all in working order and i'm getting the same problems.

When I use the machine locally or assign it a static I.P it works fine no problems but when I join it to the domain ( using DHCP) in the users office the machine works but becomes unresponsive when I go to use any programs.

I have checked the event logs in Active directory I can't seem to find any clues

I have ruled out any physical problems with the cable and switch there is a green link light on the NIC also which is indicating a good connection

Hardware has all been check and Memory has been memtested for a good 23 hours

I am at my wits end!!
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    Is it only in the one office?
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    When I use the machine locally or assign it a static I.P it works fine no problems but when I join it to the domain ( using DHCP) in the users office the machine works but becomes unresponsive when I go to use any programs.

How about joined to the domain with a static IP?

Im assuming these are network based programs rather than local installs?
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's only affecting one user's location

The programs were installed locally to the machine.

Ive tried basically 2 different machines now and I am encountering the same result

My Sysadmin is useless he's supposed to be providing second line and third line support but he's clueless over thinks problems and is just a big UNIX geek!

Working in a Windows Environment this isn't a great situation to be in as I'm providing first line and i'm taking all the flak when problems arn't resolved argggghhhhh lol

I asked him why the Exhange server keeps dcing from Outlook to which he's response was

" That's micrososft I don't know "

This is the kinda crap I have to put up with.

Now This user cannot work without a machine so all her workload has stopped.

So then I told him we need to resolve this ASAP as this user cannot function without a PC

" whocares she can wait we'll think of something "

hmmmmm am I right in thinking this guy is a complete idiot? It's getting to the point where I'm having dreams of hitting him around the head with a keyboard.
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    GogousaGogousa Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Try this:
    It could be a cable problem, you said you have a green light, but that doesn't mean a good connection all the time, so try to put the network card in 10 MBps and Half Duplex.
    The other thing to try is: put a static DNS in the machine.
    Good Luck